Sarcoids - anyone removed them themselves?

ladyt25

Visit site
and if so, with what success?

our 28 yo TB has some horrid sarcoids high up on the inside on one of his hind legs. He's had them a fair while now and we did just leave them alone. However, a friend gave her what she had left of her Liverpool cream to use as it had worked for her horse. We have used it since the spring/summer and the sarcoids have changed. They have not however gone.

What has happened is they have sort of 'exploded' so seem to bleed a lot and essentially look like brains are coming out of them!! :eek:

We have to clean them (well his legs really) due to the blood that seems to be seeping the thing is though, although they are quite large now they seem to be hanging on by a pretty thin bit of skin. A vet came for vaccs and said to leave them alone. We have joked about putting elastic bands round to cut off the blood supply so they fall off andmy dad wants to put cable ties round them.

Now my mum was at the vets today with the dog and saw the senior vet and asked his advice. He said to tie garden string round them (to cut off the blood supply).

Has anyone tried something like this or had a vet do it and, if so has it worked? Any stories of your experiences would be helpful!

Emma27

Visit site
We treated a sarcoid on our ISH gelding with Crest toothpaste.

I know I will probably be lynched for saying this but there is no denying that there was a weeping sarcoid there at the start of this year, I put Crest toothpaste on it twice a day, hibiscrubbing it in between and now it's gone without a trace!

I constantly monitor it for signs of it returning but there has been nothing so far almost a year on.

Bedlam

Visit site
I'm surprised that you can pass Liverpool Cream around like that - I thought it had to be administered by a vet and wasn't left to the owner to put on. Think it's pretty toxic...? I also have 2 different strengths provided for 2 different sarcoids on the same horse - think it's a bit dodgy just slapping that stuff on without having the sarcoids assessed by Liverpool individually? I think Liverpool cream is effectivelt chemotherapy is it not? Apologies if I'm much mistaken - I just think you shouldn't muck around with what could potentially be skin cancer.

http://www.liv.ac.uk/sarcoids/

Spyda

Visit site
Just wanted to mention that I tried Thuja ointment and pills for a couple of months on an occult sarcoid last summer. It was on my mare's crest line. Eeek, made it a lot worse and caused it to spread. I stopped the treatment promptly! Beware of self medicating as sometimes it really back fires.

For me, expensive as it can be, the Liverpool treatments have always worked for me and various of the horses I've had treated. Every time. Incidentally, I've had numerous horses treated over the years (since the early 1980's) and have never had any horse get a repeat of their sarcoids. I know people say, "Once a sarcoid horse, always a sarcoid horse!" but not in my experience over the years.

However, bear in mind that using someone else's Liverpool cream will in all likeliehood not work as treatment is carefully prescribed for each horse being treated, depending upon the type of sarcoid/s being treated.

Last edited:

JulesRules

Visit site
I have had good success with global herbs Sarc ex - more with the cream than the supplement although both were used in combination, but I started the cream after and that's when they really started shrinking.

However sarcoidosis were just small pink Pea sized lumps at the start. No weeping or anything.

Last edited:

ladyt25

Visit site
Yeah, I was thinking of putting bands on too - the only thing is, although the 'thread' they are hanging on by is pretty thin, the sarcoids themselves are quite large so not sure we'd get the band over. The liverpool cream was Ok'd by the vet to try to see if it would work (I know it works on some but not others) and it has partially but before trying it the sarcoids were just smooth and not looking like they're wanting to pop out!

Sarcoids are horrid things! Think we may try some sort of tying of - I personally think bands are likely to work more than any sort of tied twine as bands are more likely to keep a constant pressure. Hmm, food for thought.

Clippy

Visit site
We had one which sounds the same as yours OP. One sarcoid in particular was huge, ripping the skin and dangling. The vet said it needed to come off and as it was way too big to band, we tied string round it and sprayed it with aluminium spray which helped with the bleeding and gore.

It soon fell off but always came back. Oddly, the horse never seemed bothered by his sarcoids and they didn't really stop him from doing anything, they just looked a mess

ladyt25

Visit site
No, ours isn't particular bothered by them at all am being that he's 28 I doubt they are ever going to get bad enough to affect his health before something else gets him! However, because they bleed a bit they look horrid and in the summer the flies are attracted to them which is yukky and his tail gets bits stuck in it. Also our dogs get quite interested because it's quite bloody and it does concern me sometimes that foxes could also maybe get interested in them and bother him (mind you if they bit them off that'd be helpful!)

Tinypony

Visit site
I probably wouldn't decide on the treatment myself, but I have treated several with the help of Tim Couzens the holistic vet. Depending on the type of sarcoid the treatment has always involved Thuja and Echinacea internally, but one type we used Thuja cream, the latest he sent Ditton Cream. Always works so far!

Visit site
We have seen a beautiful horse for sale, trialled it and we saw it had blood dripping down its leg ( front right ) we washed the wound and it was a sarcoid. The owner said it wasn't there yesterday when she washed the horse. Is a bleeding sarcoid fresh?
Anyway, she got the sarcoid taken off by a vet but only problem is that is the health condition now in the blood stream? I'm thinking that it was pretty new and treated quickly so no!
Please, shall we go ahead with the sale?

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I had a few banded by a vet, they fell off and never returned.
My boss always removes them himself. It used to and tbh still does horrify me but they have never caused issues or returned over the years.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
If you're asking if it might grow back then the answer is yes, it might. The horse is also likely to grow others.

If a horse with sarcoids is a deal breaker for you then I would suggest you walk away. Even if you're not put off by it then best to be aware that sarcoids significantly affect a horse's market value usually.