Sarcoids.

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
I've noticed tonight little man has a growth on his chest. It's small (about the size of a pea), and just attatched to the skin. Having only ever seen one sarcoid before, I presume that's what it is. It's hard, horny like growth with a little dark red blood like spot on the side. Very hard and rough.

Do they cause any problems if left?? It's not big enough to notice, but I don't want it to cause any problems. And what treatment (if needed) works??

Tia

Visit site
Sarcoids must be one of the most talked about conditions in this Vet Forum. If you run a search you will come up with threads upon threads and no doubt you will find the answer you are looking for.

Lots of people prefer not to tamper with sarcoids if they are not growing or are not in an area where tack rubs. I always used to be like this, however having used Camrosa for the past 10 years on many horses with sarcoids, and had fantastic results each and every time, this is what I would always choose to do if I ever had another pop up - theory being, get rid of it before it does grow large.

TURBOBERT

Visit site
Yes - I had a horse that developed one on his neck about 3/4 years ago - I think linked with the rubberised reins rubbing - dont really know - might be coincidence. Camrosa cleared it up brilliantly. We now have a pregnant mare who has developed one on the shoulder - nothing rubs on it even the rugs - it is growing though and now has a sort of neck on it - whole thing about the size of a pea. In view of the lack of hard research info on Camrosa I have decided to leave it until after the foal is weaned. I am trying Teatree oil though. Is it OK to use it 'neat'?

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
thanks, I have heard allsorts of theories, being from using human urine on them to putting a rubber ring on to cut off the blood supply.
I'll try camrosa as it's only tiny. cheers. Read a horrible thing last night in vetinary book that they can be cancerous? Spent half the night sitting up panicking!

fairhill

Visit site
I've heard tea tree oil (and aloe vera) are NOT recommended for sarcoids:

[ QUOTE ]
Homeopathic and natural medicines are entirely unpredictable. In general cell stimulators such as Allovera are contraindicated and Tea tree oil can be very dangerous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Taken from:
http://pcwww.liv.ac.uk/sarcoid/question7.htm

It's a really useful website for learning more about sarcoids.

fairhill

Visit site
Kate - how old is your pony? My old loan horse had a similar growth, from about 3 years old. We didn't touch it as it didn't get rubbed or change shape, or spread and by the time he was 6 it had disappeared.

If you're worried about it then maybe have the vet check it next time he's up for vaccinations or whatever? I was worried about a growth on my 5 yr olds chin, where the noseband fits, and the vet put my mind at rest that it wasn't a sarcoid. It's still there, but currently not doing any harm, so I'm just keeping an eye on it.

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
He's 3. Literally just appeared over night. It's not gooey or anything, but I think he's knocked it and made it bleed a little as there was a pin prick of dried blood on it.

fairhill

Visit site
Personally, I've heard some nightmare stories about camrosa, and would be wary of using something toxic without a vet supervising.

There's a theory that sarcoids are related to a deficiency with the immune system - so you could try a herbal supplement or something designed to support him from the inside (hilton herbs, or global herbs do a couple of mixes).
I've never tried them though so can't comment on efficiency.

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Personally, I've heard some nightmare stories about camrosa, and would be wary of using something toxic without a vet supervising.

There's a theory that sarcoids are related to a deficiency with the immune system - so you could try a herbal supplement or something designed to support him from the inside (hilton herbs, or global herbs do a couple of mixes).
I've never tried them though so can't comment on efficiency.

[/ QUOTE ]

really?
crazy.gif

Interestingly enough, I've just put him on a multi vitamin as he had a dull coat, and I thought I'd try that first. And this sarcoid didnt appear until I started him on it. I have to be careful what i feed him due to him not being in work, and limited grazing during very bad weather means I have to walk him out so need to be wary of anything that will make him fizzy or give him extra energy or calories which he doesnt need.
I've heard stories of people spending hundreds on ointments for them to not work.

milliepup

Visit site
I've heard the same about Aloe Vera as it is supposed to stimulate growth (just what you don't want with a sarcoid!) also I gather Tea Tree can be quite potent so would do some more research just incase.
Good luck

luane1

Visit site
My horse had two horrible sarcoids on the inside of his rear leg and they started rubbing when he cantered and we were going to treat him with cream from Liverpool on the advice of my vet, but I read a fascinating article about the immune system being able to fight them and so I gave him restore liver tonic and then a course of Bob Allen minerals. He didnt like the taste and was able to wash his feed in his water drinker which becasme clogged up with the stuff so I mixed t with molasses and he ate it no problem. The sarcoids started shrinking after 14 days and disappeared completely. Our vet could not belive it as these things had started out the size of a pea and were literally the size of golf balls. The minerals did not affect his fizzyness or anything like a feed supplement can do they really made him in good condition. I think that it was global herbs that marketed the stuff but it is actually Bob Allens and I got it more cheaply from a supplier of that

KJJ

Visit site
I heard the same about Aloe Vera...

A horse at my yard has severe sarcoids (should be PTS IMO) but the Camrosa lady was using him as an experiment... anywho.. she advised to stay well clear of Aloe... yet the Cranio-Sacral Lady suggested that the horse was fed Aloe Vera Juice for his guts?!?

One very poorly neddy
frown.gif

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
OMG, that sounds awful. Seems to be so much conflicting advice.

[/ QUOTE ]Totally.. and unfortunately the owners theory - chuck the horse in the field... out of sight out of mind
frown.gif

Summer is awful for him as they cut his tail so that it doesn't 'stick' to the sarcoids (which weep abd bleed) therefore he has nothing to swipe flies away wipe... a REAL contentious issue!!!
mad.gif

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
Some people should be shot
mad.gif

I was offered some of the lue antiseptic spray for it....would it help in any way? or just best to leave well alone and see if it goes of it's own accord? it's on his chest so not affecting him in any way.

fairhill

Visit site
The trouble with sarcoids is that no-one really understands them. Derek Knottenbelt (has the website I posted above) is one of the most knowledgable people in the world on the subject, and this is on his homepage:

"The only predictable thing about the equine sarcoid
is that it is unpredictable"

He's very helpful and knows a lot - it might be worth sending him an email (address is on his website), as he might be able to put your mind at rest.

My friend's horse is currently towards the end of her treatment with liverpool cream - her horse has had a sarcoid under his chin for 15 years, but this year the flies made a real mess of it, and it was the size of a golf ball. The cream from liverpool is very toxic, but the sarcoid is slowly shrinking - thankfully! She was warned that sometimes they drop off leaving a gaping hole.

Tia

Visit site
Oops! I see there is 2 threads running, so will copy and paste:

Below is a piece I wrote on Camrosa on a thread some time ago.

When I have used Camrosa, I don't bother to use the shampoo or cleanser anymore - the ointment has never let me down and has always cleared up any sarcoids. What I have always done is just to smear the Camrosa on every two or three days and leave it, then reapply again. I've used it on many many sarcoids of varying shapes and sizes and it has always got rid of them and they have never returned.

Personally I wouldn't use it on the type which bursts open, although I know they do say it is safe to use it on these types of open sarcoid wounds. I've only used it on the other types where there is no blood. Often the area swells up for 4 or 5 days but you have to keep using it otherwise you won't get anywhere. Most sarcoids are gone within the month, although one of mine had a huge one that look like a testicle and it took a couple of months to get rid of - that was about 3 years ago and it has never returned.

Anyway here was the information I found out:

"Okay so I contacted Camrosa and asked if they would be kind enough to give me the ingredients in Camrosa - they arrived in the mail today. I have typed the below exactly as it is on the List of ingredients sent from Camrosa.

A calcium soap, made from 12 hydroxy octadecanoic acid (12 hydroxy stearic acid), n-octadecanoic acid (stearic acid) and sodium salts of similar natural acids suspended in hydro treated heavy napthenic distillate.

Calcium Soap made from -

Hydroxy (means compound) Octadecanoic acid (means stearic acid) - a waxy saturated fatty acid; occurs widely as a glyceride in animal and vegetable fats.

N-Octadecanoic acid (a different form of stearic acid) - again a glyceride made from animal and vegetable fats.

Sodium Salts suspended hydro treated heavy napthenic distillate - sodium salts held together by napthenic oils which are a high quality range of non-harmful, unlabelled process oils that possess light consistent colour, excellent low temperature properties, extremely low wax content and high solubility properties. They are then made into a purified liquid produced by condensation from a vapor during distilling.

Interestingly when I ran a search for Napthenic oils - guess what they are often used for?? Veterinary Products!"

You will find tonnes and tonnes of threads like this on Internet Forums......they ALL have one thing in common......most of these people have NEVER used Camrosa! Make of that what you will. And as for Dr. Knickersinatwist.....don't you think the bad press that he personally gives Camrosa could possibly be a marketing ploy??

I don't know anyone who has used this ointment correctly who has been disappointed by it.

Lots of people on here have used it so just ask the people with the experience rather than listening to those who have no experience of it.
smile.gif

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
is camrosa just an ointment then? Can it harm human skin?? (I'm thinking just HOW toxic is it? ie do you need to wear rubber gloves to apply it lol).
I'm inclined to just leave it be as it's not in a position where it'll rub him.

Tia

Visit site
I believe that Camrosa, unlike Liverpool Cream, is relatively non-toxic??

Totally up to you. If the sarcoid isn't changing in shape or size and it isn't in the way of tack then it is not necessary to use anything on it. I only do as I want rid of them and don't want them to grow - but it really is each to their own on this one.

Some sarcoids never get any bigger and just lie there dormant for many many years - others sprout out of control and then they are more difficult to eradicate.

archoak

Visit site
Someone at our yard recently used it and didn't use gloves and didn't have the removal ointment either, why do you need to remove it?

fizzer

Visit site
it sounds like it could be a number of things, ranging from a rub to a scarcoid, you obviously need someone of knowledge, experienced or a vet to have a look as you will convince yourself its worse than what it is , possibly

siennamiller

Visit site
my boy had the worst sarcoid anyone (including vet) had ever seen. It was on the inside of his back leg, it was the size of an apple and he could not even walk properly. I was advised by many experienced people to have him PTS.
I first of all used camrosa which at the time I thought did not work as it grew to the most horrendous size, now I think it was the Camrosa pulling it out of his system.
I gave up with Camrosa. I used to feed him a general vitamin supp, plus hilton herbs equimune. He has hilton herbs ditton cream on it once a day and neat tea tree on it once a day. I also tied it iff with his tailhair as it had a neck. One day it dropped off (approx 2 1/2 years ago)and so far has not come back. He also had two flat sarcoids on his chest and they have completely healed with full hair growth over where they were. I basically hit it from all angles, my vet laughed at me ath the time but I get much respect now!
I would say tho that if it not interfering with him (i.e. tack/rugs rubbing etc) then I would leave it as they can be very agressive and there is always the possibility it may get worse.
good luck.

Triskar

Visit site
If it is a young horse, it could easily be a wart - my young horse had a crop of warts when he was 3 which I treated homeopathically with thuja - but since they can spontaneously disappear, I don't know whether it was the thuja that got rid of them!