Sarm Hippique - Beautiful Implements of Torture - How Long To Break In?

lisab

Visit site
Well I got my sexy new boots on Sunday. Been wearing Tredstep gaiters for years, love them to bits but they've worn out. Sold my saddle that I don't use, so I thought I'd treat myself. Got myself measured and bought some Sarm Hippique gorgeous boots. The first pair I tried on were so beautiful - all soft and lovely pre-oiled calf-skin lovelies. That were £410 :eek:

So I took them off quickly and asked if they had any cheaper ones. Which they did - same boots but different leather. And £235, which is still loads but never mind.

I knew they'd need some breaking in and proudly wore them to the office on Monday, flashing my gorgeous new boots to anyone that didn't run away quick enough. Hacked out in them Monday evening. Got halfway round the block and then gave in to the "OW" factor. I rang the shop, said I'd bought them the day before and they were killing me - what do they suggest? They suggested neatsfoot oil used sparingly.

Well I've drowned them in neatsfoot oil twice and wore them to work all week. And they're still killing me and leaving red welts on my ankles. Not as bad as they were now I've oiled them, but there's no way I can jump in them this weekend. So I will have to put up with my gaiters and my boot popping out the bottom and the zip coming undone.

And I need to buy new irons as the newbies are all slim and elegant and lovely and completely different to my usual Grahams big fat chunky dealer boots and my feet are completely lost in my stirrups. New gaiters are now starting to feel like the better/much cheaper option!

When will they be ok? Someone please tell me they will be ok soon?

Luci07

Visit site
They will be but new leather boots do take some wearing in - I resorted to wearing mine in the house for a very long time before moving onto schooling in them and not a chance in hell of wearing them for competing or any period of time!. Even my new - short ariat boots are taking some breaking in..

Piccy

Visit site
When I am wearing in any new boots or leather shoes, I wear a pair of clean slightly damp socks at home this i find helps to mould the leather more quickly than just wearing them in.

martlin

www.martlinequestrian.co.uk
I don't get on with Neatsfoot Oil at all, I would suggest covering them in a leather balsam like effax (the brown one), it softens the leather much better and smells lovely, too.

Bubbles

Visit site
I had the same prob with my Sarms: I wore them round the house for weeks and weeks, in the end the only thing that helped was lashings of Albion leather balm, and I had to put on thick socks and just ride in them. I love them now, and I was sooo worried when they were hurting that I never would :rolleyes:

PoppyAnderson

Visit site
My Sarms hurt like stink for weeks but I persevered and they did get better but never to the point of them being comfy. I threw the towel in in the end and got top of the range Mountain Horse boots and they've fit like a glove from day one and the leather is buttery soft. Sorry, prob not what you wanted to hear.

Dobby

Visit site
I had a pair that did this, I oiled them and they softened but still hurt, so I left them until the blisters and sore red marks they made had healed, tried them again and they were fine. It might be because it's rerubbing already damaged skin so it hurts more. Wait til they've healed and try again?

Vodkagirly

Visit site
Take them off and give yourself a few days for your feet to recover, they are probably slighty swollen at the moment which makes the problem worse.
Start again next weeks but just a few hours at a time and if you have any rubs give you feet a day to recover. No point crippling yourself.

lisab

Visit site
My Sarms hurt like stink for weeks but I persevered and they did get better but never to the point of them being comfy. I threw the towel in in the end and got top of the range Mountain Horse boots and they've fit like a glove from day one and the leather is buttery soft. Sorry, prob not what you wanted to hear.

PoppyAnderson you are a proper ratbag - NO that is not what I wanted to hear!!! Nearly as bad as my "best friend" who said "Oooh, now I see why people pay for the £410 ones that don't hurt" :mad:

I only had the Sarms because I couldn't get anything else to fit. I am only 5'3" and not fat but I have wide calves. Probably the 5 step classes per week I used to do pre-Teebag cos I fancied the (gay) instructor (didn't know he was gay) didn't help with the big calves!

I shall persevere and drown them in leather balm. But only because I have spent so much money on them. I am starting to wish that I'd just bought some new Tredstep gaiters. Which are only £90. And don't leave red welts on my ankles....

Keltic

Visit site
My long boots were a nightmare!! Then someone recommended a special spray, you get it from a shoe shop and its for leather shoes/boots you spray it inside before you put them on, I spayed about half a can (its a really small can) in each boot and it worked!!
It really helped soften them up and mold to my shape very quickly.

lisab

Visit site
Just realised I have been really rude and not thanked you for your replies.

Thank you :D

And this is not a bump, I've had some good tips thanks. Went and jumped in my gaiters today and, although the show was good - 2nd in the 3ft 6 - yay, good boy Teebag! - my gaiters really got on my nerves with the knackered zip keep coming down. So I will persevere with my new boots and oil/leather balm/spray/whatever them.

Thanks peeps.