Sarnies eventing comeback - good on paper but......

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
How often do we here not a great day on paper but it was the performance that counted :D . In a lot of ways for me this was the other way around! :(

We were representing our riding club Cornwall Trec at the Area Horse Trials in the Open section which runs now as a BE100+. This was to be Sarnie's first event for over two years since falling and breaking her sternum at Houghton and then having an operation to remove a keratoma.

The horse trials was being held at St Leonards on the Devon / Cornwall border and was the first use of the new course before its inaugural BE event at the beginning of August. Having arrived back late the night before Sarnie had to be plaited and bathed ready to leave the yard at 5.30 the next day.

Sarnie has always been a diva and likes her routine, with Pip away at Salperton (report here) and the other horse on the yard out at night she had got herself in a right state in the stable with virtually her whole bed needing removing and her left dripping in sweat.

Arrived at St Leonards and was on and ready for a 8.30 dressage. She has been going reasonably in this phase at home but I was expecting the odd protest in the test. Perhaps alarm bells should have started ringing when she did a very sweat test to achieve a PB score at any level of 27!

[youtube]41rvQuK7ZW0[/youtube]

Show jumping was smaller than she had been jumping of late but with the undulations of the ring meant it was not totally straightforward. She jumped her customary clear but never really took me forward and was backing off more than usual. To be fair there was another experienced horse in the class who also was a bit spooky so we put that down to some hidden monsters in the ring!

[youtube]OnI2vmSRaPc[/youtube]

So onto XC and I have to admit after yesterdays Intermediate and remembering I was on Sarnie it didn’t look too taxing. The main questions came at the end with a step out of the water to a corner and then a huge trakehner (by BE100 Standards)

Sarnie jumped round clear but without any sparkle or verve. Having finished the round yesterday with 20 penalties I nearly cried with happiness, this time it was more a case of sadness for what no longer seemed there.

[youtube]nw-Q8FosDlk[/youtube]

When we got back to the lorry she had a very slight nosebleed which she has never done before. It could be any number of things, I think the saddle may need looking at, she may have been stressed and tired from the two nights of fretting, she may not be right somewhere, she may have a virus or it may be time to retire her. As she has been show jumping so well up to now I am hoping it is something short term. The vet is in the yard today so we will have a chat then.

Having a look at the pictures and for me they show me a horse doing its job but with no sparkle. :(

She won the section and qualified for the championships however at the moment I just want to find out what the issue is, she certainly won't be going unless I have a very clear indication of what was wrong and that it has been put right. However what a super horse she can do so well when not feeling herself.

humblepie

Visit site
Lovely photos and Sarnie looks gorgeous as ever. Difficult to tell from the photos but I think I can see what you mean. Her ears are forward but there is a bit of sparkle missing.

Perhaps it is just a low grade virus or something as we all love Sarnie.

Has she been feeling happy and keen show jumping?

dollymix

Visit site
Try not to be too disappointed. Sure she's in there somewhere :)
After all she did win which is wonderful! If she's just coming back to it maybe she is just a bit overwhelmed and needs to get her mojo back. Or as you say, they sometimes just have an "off day" where they do as they ask but lack some spark. We know ourselves we get up
Some data feeling tired, sore, run down or just down in the dumps. Try not to worry too much

dollymix

Visit site
That was meant to be some days not some data (iPhones!!!)

There seem to be a few viruses lingering this year. It will turn out to be something or nothing

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
Lovely photos and Sarnie looks gorgeous as ever. Difficult to tell from the photos but I think I can see what you mean. Her ears are forward but there is a bit of sparkle missing.

Perhaps it is just a low grade virus or something as we all love Sarnie.

Has she been feeling happy and keen show jumping?

Yes she has been great jumping won 3 out of her last 3 BS classes at 1.10 / 1.15

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
Try not to be too disappointed. Sure she's in there somewhere :)
After all she did win which is wonderful! If she's just coming back to it maybe she is just a bit overwhelmed and needs to get her mojo back. Or as you say, they sometimes just have an "off day" where they do as they ask but lack some spark. We know ourselves we get up
Some data feeling tired, sore, run down or just down in the dumps. Try not to worry too much

Thanks I am a great worrier and she is a bit special. Just want to do what is right by her

bubbaloonie

Visit site
Are you sure she's as fit as she was when you were eventing previously? If not, perhaps that has something to do with it and she needs a few gos to get back into 'match fitness' if you get what I mean?

Well done though, you did win after all :D

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
Are you sure she's as fit as she was when you were eventing previously? If not, perhaps that has something to do with it and she needs a few gos to get back into 'match fitness' if you get what I mean?

Well done though, you did win after all :D

I am happy she was fit enough, this should have been a walk in the park for her :(

lex2501

Visit site
How worrying for you, but I can imagine that 2 nights of stress and no sleep would probably leave her feeling under par? Keep us posted on what the vet says, and maybe worth taking bloods? I really hope you get her back to full health very soon. When are the champs?

Agree that it is quite phenomenal to achieve such an incredible result when not firing on all cylinders!!

Tangaroo

Visit site
A great result but sorry to hear shes not feeling herself. Sure it will be something straight forward. I know im not on form after no sleep for a couple of nights so maybe its that.:p

little_flea

Visit site
From what you describe, it all sounds like a physical issue on the day rather than something longer term, that she isn't happy/read for retirement. I hope you get to the bottom of it. Assume she is on Red Cell or something similar? Seems to not only perk them up but good if they compete and potentially exposed to viruses.

Amazing result though! Keep us posted, everyone loves Sarnie. :)

Worried1

Visit site
I think she looks great but obviously you know her, in every pic she is concentrating and ears are forward or that lovely floppy concentrating lop.

Possibly a bit stage struck after a long absence? This coupled with a couple of nights unsettled has probably knocked the edge of her. Keep us posted :)

PorkChop

Visit site
How lovely to see Sarnie out partying proper again, even if it is not the performance you hoped it would be. I would agree that surely two nights of fretting may have been the cause for her feeling under par, I am sure with your usual thoroughness you will get to the root of the problem.

Congratulations anyway :)

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
From what you describe, it all sounds like a physical issue on the day rather than something longer term, that she isn't happy/read for retirement. I hope you get to the bottom of it. Assume she is on Red Cell or something similar? Seems to not only perk them up but good if they compete and potentially exposed to viruses.

Amazing result though! Keep us posted, everyone loves Sarnie. :)

Yep she is Propel so pretty similar - Sarnie knows everyone loves her :cool:

Mickyjoe

Visit site
It does sound a bit like a low grade virus, especially with the nosebleed. I would get bloods done and go from there.
She looks an absolute picture in that last photo, so I don't think it's a fitness issue.
Hopefully you will get her sorted again in no time.
I know of some other eventers who had similar issues due to a virus (they are back out winning again now after it's been sorted) and also racehorses, although with the racehorses it was Aspergillus. Might be worth just getting those things checked out.

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
You commented that she had got quite stressed and sweaty the night before SJ - could she have been dehydrated? This would explain her lacking her usual sparkle......?

It is not impossible although she is on electrolytes and had drunk her water a normal maybe slightly more and she drank at the event normally.

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
It does sound a bit like a low grade virus, especially with the nosebleed. I would get bloods done and go from there.
She looks an absolute picture in that last photo, so I don't think it's a fitness issue.
Hopefully you will get her sorted again in no time.
I know of some other eventers who had similar issues due to a virus (they are back out winning again now after it's been sorted) and also racehorses, although with the racehorses it was Aspergillus. Might be worth just getting those things checked out.

Yes will talk to vet later. Agree she is in great condition also I think when they have been v fit in the past they come back to it more easily. She had a slow long build from her time off so no issues there.

AandK

Visit site
to me in the pics she just looks a bit tired? Like a come down from adrenaline tired IYSWIM? Perhaps the 2 days of stressing etc has left her a bit tired/lack lustre? Sure she will be back to normal in no time and congrats on your win :)

I have to say this was my immediate thought when you said she was lacking sparkle.. Easy for me to say, but try not to let it worry you too much, I am sure she will be back on top form soon.

She looks the absolute picture of health in your pics, a real credit to you! And great to hear she is back to full work after such a rough time these last few years :)

ajn1610

Visit site
Could it be that she was a bit 'under whelmed' having completed at a higher level? Or that it was a bit of a shock and once she gets back into the idea she will perk up? I'm so sorry for you, you must feel desperate after such a long road and the time spent getting her right. Try to remember it is a one off under not brilliant circumstances and she may well get her sparkle back.

Firewell

Visit site
I would think she's under par with a bug, especially as she has been showjumping so well recently and the nosebleed. I'm sure she will be back to her old self soon :).

spookypony

Visit site
Congrats on the good result, even though she feels under par...let's hope it's just feeling tired after all the stressing about the disruptions, and that she perks up soon!

HotToTrot

Visit site
Sorry that she didn't feel great. Hopefully she was tired from a couple of sleepless nights. Update us when you know more! Well done on the win and I hope she is back on form for the championships.

blackhor2e

Visit site
I know this may sound odd, but my new eventer has a lot of sparkle so I know the feeling when you have a lack of it.

I have a small theory that maybe she just wasn't expecting to go out eventing? If she has been show jumping over the last couple of seasons it may just be a shock.

Maybe if you take her out again eventing the sparkle will get brighter and brighter as she realises she is back to what she loves best :)