Saving our field shelter - can it be done? Calling DIY experts!

Charmin

Visit site
at my livery yard a small herd lives out in a field which has a hedge down two sides but can be exposed in driving rain, so there is currently a field shelter. it's more two timber stables on skids. however it's beginning to look a bit worse for wear, one wall has come away from the metal skid leaving a gap between the frame and the wall. the middle partition is looking unstable. is there any way these can be resecured? how so? the frame itself still seems sound but how do you check this? can you take out the middle partition without comprising the whole structure?

the shelter sits on a flat concrete base.

I've got a youngster joining the herd over winter and would love the shelter to be safe and usable, a new one is certainly not cheap!

thank you all very much.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Sounds like the shelter is still repairable. The middle partition could be part of the roof support, so removing it completely may not be wise. I'd crack on with getting it fixed, though, as it could easily get damaged further, and horses could get hurt.

A job for a local handy-person, perhaps?

Charmin

Visit site
Cheshire :)

was thinking local handyman actually. it's currently not in use as they're in the summer paddocks but wanted it sorted before winter and the mud, brrr.

Dry Rot

Visit site
Sounds like a complete dismantle and rebuild job. The great thing about timber is that you can usually unbolt, prise out nails, cut, and then use the old materials with some new to start again. The roof will probably be the most expensive part to replace. Does it have to be moveable? It is a lot easier to build a sound structure from a solid base and I'd want to fix it permanently to the concrete some how if possible.

Charmin

Visit site
Ooo goodness a dismantle job!

It's counted as a non permanent structure as it's on skids so not sure if it could be fixed down unless said fixing can be removed without too much bother.

I haven't got any currently but can get some pictures later :) thank you all for your help!