Savings/building society

mini_b

Visit site
Can anyone please recommend/advise on a good savings account/building society.

not necessarily interested in great rates, the most important thing is accessibility and user friendly.
we are rural so must all be managed on app/online and EASY.

I opened a joint savings acc with YBS last October and have been unable to access the bloody thing. Their app does not work and customer service cannot help with password changes with you cannot do online as the form takes you around in circles. I’m giving up on it! IT problem apparently and still not heard back from them....
they have closed all my local branches, nearest one is an hour away. If I went in they
I want to be able to pay in from my banking app hassle free.

And breathe ?

throwawayaccount

Visit site
I have a lifetime ISA with hargreaves lockdown, they're pretty good and offer a variety of products. only downside is if you need to withdraw early you incur a 25% charge I think. my actual savings are just in my natwest savings account..easy to transfer from current to savings on the app, takes a second.

mini_b

Visit site
Unless you have large amounts of cash, it may be easiest just to open a savings account with your bank. For larger amounts, I use Marcus. They give 0.4%, one of the best instant access rates, and are very easy to use. Money passes between them and my bank in seconds!

we both have separate savings accs with our banks but wanted something not linked as our main joint saver so it’s less tempting to dip into!

Lipglosspukka

Visit site
Starling. The interest rate isn't great but accessibility is amazing.

Forget your password and you just record a video on the app and it's unlocked once verified (normally within minutes)

mini_b

Visit site
Starling. The interest rate isn't great but accessibility is amazing.

Forget your password and you just record a video on the app and it's unlocked once verified (normally within minutes)

this is what I want. Don’t think anywhere has amazing rates unless you have tons of money. Accessibility is a must for both of us. Are the transfers fast?

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
this is what I want. Don’t think anywhere has amazing rates unless you have tons of money. Accessibility is a must for both of us. Are the transfers fast?

they're instant, and super easy to set up. You can also pay in cheques by taking a photo of them on the app and waiting for it to be authorised. Their customer service is great and via a in app chat, very prompt, and their disputes system is also great. I can't sing their praises enough. You can also have savings pots for things, so I have 'horse money' & 'oh sh*t horse money' :p

It also tells you how much you have sent to 'x' account over the lifetime of your app usage, or in the last year, which is pretty scary when looking at my YO, or farrier.. I haven't dared look at the vet account!

phizz4

Visit site
i was looking at nationwide. Can you open online and is the online banking side of it hassle free? If you do have problems, can they actually help
We've had the account so long I don'y know if you can open on-line. I think you can with First Direct. Once opened on-line works fine, as does the NW app on my Android phone. Having said that, so does my HSBC app. but I'm thinking of leaving them because of their stance on China and Hong Kong. Interest rates are rubbish wherever you go.

mini_b

Visit site
Premium bonds - money can be out with 2/3 days notice and I've won way more in a year than I would have gained in any interest paying account

I have PB’s which I am unable to access as my name and address have changed!

Littlebear

Visit site
I recommend premium bonds also, you cant get any decent interest anywhere really without locking up or taking some risk. I win pretty regularly and it makes the return well over inflation (in normal times) when I look at the last few years which I wouldn't have got anywhere else with access available. Obviously you are not guaranteed that though.

Lifetime isas are really only any good for retirement or buying your first home.

Otherwise I would suggest Marcus by Goldman Sachs.

mini_b

Visit site
I recommend premium bonds also, you cant get any decent interest anywhere really without locking up or taking some risk. I win pretty regularly and it makes the return well over inflation (in normal times) when I look at the last few years which I wouldn't have got anywhere else with access available. Obviously you are not guaranteed that though.

Lifetime isas are really only any good for retirement or buying your first home.

Otherwise I would suggest Marcus by Goldman Sachs.

im looking for something that I can transfer and withdraw instantly hence not using PBs. Not looking for a high return at this point, just a savings pot we have separate.

Birker2020

Visit site
Can anyone please recommend/advise on a good savings account/building society.

not necessarily interested in great rates, the most important thing is accessibility and user friendly.
we are rural so must all be managed on app/online and EASY.

I opened a joint savings acc with YBS last October and have been unable to access the bloody thing. Their app does not work and customer service cannot help with password changes with you cannot do online as the form takes you around in circles. I’m giving up on it! IT problem apparently and still not heard back from them....
they have closed all my local branches, nearest one is an hour away. If I went in they
I want to be able to pay in from my banking app hassle free.

And breathe ?
I'm with Coventry Building Society. They have a mini ISA which is instant access which was a Godsend during Covid and furlough when my furlough wasn't very much.

I also had a fixed bond that I'd had for about 22 years! It used to generate around £250 a year interest, then it dipped down dramatically! It had more more money in it than the ISA so I waited until the term was up and put the balance of that into my ISA. Coventry can directly take money from your account and pay into your bank account and I have set them up as a payee on Internet Banking and try and put a few pounds away as and when.

A big plus for me was that they were open six days a week throughout Covid which was brilliant and very reassuring.

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
Ah our mortgage is with YBS and the app is a right pain, I can just about handle it for mortgage as all I really want to know is my ltv every now and then but for something like current account/savings I wouldn't be able to cope!

My current account is with Santander, been with them years. App is easy, money seems to move instantaneously and compared to our joint co op account they seem to have a good balance of when to flag a payment as a bit fishy.

Joint account is with CO-OP and christ almighty. The hoops I have had to jump through to pay for things on what I would consider normal websites! They also seem to block our card for online purchases frequently for no apparent reason. I appreciate good cyber security and fraud awareness but it just seems a bit extreme, the card only gets used online for my ever growing Zara Home obsession.

Also have a monzo card for abroad purchases. I love Monzo, so easy to use.

Savings wise I now put everything in to Premium Bonds and my investment ISA with Vanguard. Investment ISA is my longer term savings (car/trailer and to top up my maternity pay) and premium bonds are my more instant savings pot as it only takes a few days to withdraw. The bank savings accounts are just a bit pants at the moment.

Abby-Lou

Visit site
Yes agree love Monzo on your phone so easy to use especially when go on holiday. Also premium Bonds offers a bit more excitement and you can withdraw money within 4/5 days into your account if you need to dip in to saving

mini_b

Visit site
Ah our mortgage is with YBS and the app is a right pain, I can just about handle it for mortgage as all I really want to know is my ltv every now and then but for something like current account/savings I wouldn't be able to cope!

My current account is with Santander, been with them years. App is easy, money seems to move instantaneously and compared to our joint co op account they seem to have a good balance of when to flag a payment as a bit fishy.

Joint account is with CO-OP and christ almighty. The hoops I have had to jump through to pay for things on what I would consider normal websites! They also seem to block our card for online purchases frequently for no apparent reason. I appreciate good cyber security and fraud awareness but it just seems a bit extreme, the card only gets used online for my ever growing Zara Home obsession.

Also have a monzo card for abroad purchases. I love Monzo, so easy to use.

Savings wise I now put everything in to Premium Bonds and my investment ISA with Vanguard. Investment ISA is my longer term savings (car/trailer and to top up my maternity pay) and premium bonds are my more instant savings pot as it only takes a few days to withdraw. The bank savings accounts are just a bit pants at the moment.

Yes love monzo!!
...no to co op then.

agreed - bank savings are all dreadful returns. Just need something easy peasy that doesn’t make me want to rip my hair out thanks YBS ?

McFluff

Visit site
First Direct are great to use (app and online and phone)
Premium bonds are fun and online access is good, or you can just use the savings account through nsandi (withdrawals under £15k are instant).
ISA are no good for short term saving solutions (but if tucking money away for a big spend, Nutmeg are easy to use).

mini_b

Visit site
First Direct are great to use (app and online and phone)
Premium bonds are fun and online access is good, or you can just use the savings account through nsandi (withdrawals under £15k are instant).
ISA are no good for short term saving solutions (but if tucking money away for a big spend, Nutmeg are easy to use).

I have bonds with nsandi might have to spend a day getting through to them and sort it out. We have a bit to put away so be nice to get some prizes!!

edit - ah it would appear from what I’ve just briefly read that it’s not for joint savers?

McFluff

Visit site
I have bonds with nsandi might have to spend a day getting through to them and sort it out. We have a bit to put away so be nice to get some prizes!!

edit - ah it would appear from what I’ve just briefly read that it’s not for joint savers?

My OH and I each have some. We just each have half the amount. You can be competitive and reinvest the prizes (see who’s Fund grows the most). Or you can have prizes paid into your current account. We share the prizes with an agreement that a big win will buy a horsebox :D
If you haven’t seen yours for a while you may have a win sitting there. A day well spent!