Saw something that made me smile :)

Redders

Visit site
I'm currently at uni to be a vet, and so my mare (coloured wb) is on loan to a fab girl who is at my old yard. At said yard I have two fab friends- one has a bay, and one a chestnut. Sadly last weekend they moved to a new private yard (am welcome to join them, but am leaving that decision up to her loaner, as it affects her more than me) anyway, we are like the three amigos when we hack, and I am missing them loads.

Anyway.....today I went walking with a friend in Ashton Court and by the ice cream van, we see a coloured, a bay and a chestnut with riders queuing for an ice cream! It reminded me of our rides and shenanigans and it really made me smile! So if those riders are on here- thank you, you made my day!

ebonyallen

Visit site
Aww how lovely was that, have to say that's one thing that I have not done as yet. Have been and had a drink and a bite to eat in the past but I am loving the idea of an ice cream........... might have to make the a mission for this summer. You will be back soon doing all these crazy things again.

Shady

Visit site
What a lovely thing to see! if you mean Ashton Court near Bristol Redders that was my playground as a kid, used to hang out with the mayors horses and play in the grounds, my nan used to help old Lady Smythe, it was very different back then, run down and a bit lonely, there used to be some secret fields tucked away near the art collage with retired police horses and donkeys in them and i sneaked a ride on one for years! haven't been back there for over 20 years, it must be very different now but seeing your post brought back loads of memories!
i lived in Cornwall too for 10 years :)

chillipup

Visit site
What a lovely thing to see! if you mean Ashton Court near Bristol Redders that was my playground as a kid, used to hang out with the mayors horses and play in the grounds, my nan used to help old Lady Smythe, it was very different back then, run down and a bit lonely, there used to be some secret fields tucked away near the art collage with retired police horses and donkeys in them and i sneaked a ride on one for years! haven't been back there for over 20 years, it must be very different now but seeing your post brought back loads of memories!
i lived in Cornwall too for 10 years :)

The old stables have been turned into a cafe. I used to go to Ashton Court in my youth and loved to see (just through the windows sometimes) the Lord Mayor's coach horses but that was quite a long while ago though :( It was always a great long walk with the dogs with all the family, on a Sunday) I went a couple of years back and found that mountain bikers had mostly taken over the dog walk from the top beyond the golf course right through the woods down to the deer park...Do you remember the little pet cemetery at the front of the house for the Smythe family pets (the ones that had passed on I mean!)...it used to make me so sad.

Last edited:

Redders

Visit site
There were a few bikers, but they were far outnumbered by dog walkers, it was like doggie heaven! Such a lovely place, and we had tea and cake at the cafe, I was queuing up and thought, there look like stables?! Then noticed the sloping cobbles with drains in the centre and realised that they were old stables! It was Ashton Court Shady. Where in Cornwall did you live? I felt really at home in the estate, living in a city is a bit alien to me so was nice to find some outdoor space.

Shady

Visit site
There were a few bikers, but they were far outnumbered by dog walkers, it was like doggie heaven! Such a lovely place, and we had tea and cake at the cafe, I was queuing up and thought, there look like stables?! Then noticed the sloping cobbles with drains in the centre and realised that they were old stables! It was Ashton Court Shady. Where in Cornwall did you live? I felt really at home in the estate, living in a city is a bit alien to me so was nice to find some outdoor space.
The stables were amazing Redders, like stepping back in time, all wood and iron, peaceful with a sense of what it must have been like in victorian times, nobody ever minded me poking around and i loved the horses, they were always chestnut and used to graze in the fields leading down to the collage, the fields had the old iron fencing, so beautiful.My grandparents looked after the art collage below the estate so i used to roam for miles, it was safer back in the 70's!
I lived all over Cornwall from Sennen , Penzance to Wadebridge and St Tudy but the longest near Redruth, my OH is cornish ,we really miss the sea!
Chillipup... yes i do remember the pet cemetery! i felt the same as you wandering through it but it was my favourite walk, there also used to be an old ice house in the woods below there but it got bricked up!
Happy days :) xx

Enfys

Visit site
What a lovely thing to see! if you mean Ashton Court near Bristol Redders that was my playground as a kid, used to hang out with the mayors horses and play in the grounds,
Me too. My parents went there a lot. We lived in Backwell back then.

Icecream! Your weather must be good.

chillipup

Visit site
Me too. My parents went there a lot. We lived in Backwell back then.

Icecream! Your weather must be good.

Now come on Enfys, you must remember, at the very first sign of any sun, male Brits start wearing shorts, we girls wear short sleeves and then suddenly the ice cream man appears!:D