Saying Goodbye

Gleeful Imp

Visit site
My old lad (the bay in my signature) has been retired for nearly 8 years - arthritis ended his ridden career far too soon. He is a lovely lovely boy, so sweet and gentle and easy to be with. I love him dearly. Retirement has been hard as it's only recently I've been able to get him close to home.

At Christmas he had extreme weight loss and to cut a long story short, vet strongly suspects a form of intestinal cancer. I declined to put him through invasive tests (but we tried various options that he didn't respond to). I made the decision not to put him through another winter. With the weather improving so did he and he was looking great. Then the weather turned colder last week and he's lost around 50kgs in a week. I cried when I took his rug off. He's in the warm sun in a heavyweight rug and he's barely warm.

So we say goodbye on Friday. I am heartbroken but his welfare is paramount. My lovely lovely George. We had such fun, we hoolied round fun rides, I did my first flying change on him and we chatted for hours just enjoying each other's company. He loved grapes and snack a jacks. He will share his carrots and apples with his field companion but draws the line at sharing his mints. I am going to miss him so much.

SK123

Visit site
That I probably the hardest decision you are going to make but in an ironic way it shows true love and loyalty to him. Nowadays I see so many owners keeping their suffering horses just for their sanity and it's selfish! Well done for making the best (not easiest) decision for your partner . We will be thinking of ye x

meleeka

Visit site
I promise this is the worst bit. A friends horse went with a similar thing. When it was my pony it was very hard, but in a way a relief not to have to worry anymore. You know you’ve done your best by him and can be proud of that.

I hope it goes as well as it can and remember he won’t know what’s happening. Will be thinking of you.

wills_91

Visit site
Lump in my throat reading this. You are doing the best and most selfless thing for your old man now. I had to make the call last year, the days leaeding up to it were awful and there was many times when I considered cancelling but once she had passed I felt and instant sense of relief and absolutely knew it was the best thing for her. Will be thinking of you xx

Merrymoles

Visit site
You are giving him the best present you can for being your fantastic horse for a long time and in my view, that is the real definition of love. It's awful and sad but you are thinking about him and not about yourself and I want to send you a massive hug for doing right by him. Will be thinking of you on Friday.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Oh Crikey, you've written so beautifully about the way he was and what he meant to you so eloquently in a short paragraph, that I can feel your loss and selflessness.
I'm so sorry, losing a much loved partner is hard.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
I'm so so sorry, the last paragraph gave me a lump in my throat. Hes clearly a very loved chap who lived a amazing life.

Will be thinking of you

Mrs B

Visit site
So sorry! What a sad week but also what a lovely tribute: what you feel for George shines through every word and would that all horses had such a kind, selfless owner.
Will be thinking of you on Friday x

turkana

Visit site
You have given him love & a nice retirement
BUT most importantly now the time is right you are giving him peace - the most important gift from a loving owner

Equine_Dream

Visit site
I am so very sorry for what you are going through. George is obviously a very special boy who is clearly so very loved. It sounds like he has had a wonderful life with you and you've shared so many lovely memories together. He is so so lucky to have you as his owner because now when it sounds like he needs you more than ever, you are doing what is right for him, even though it breaks your heart. There is no better gift you can give and no more a sign of a caring selfless owner.

Will be thinking of you both on Friday. Massive hugs. Xxx

Hollychops

Visit site
So sorry for you but you have made the right decision for George and he will love you forever for it. Will be thinking of you on friday xx

FabioandFreddy

Visit site
Really sorry to hear that. Sounds like he's had a lovely retirement with you though, even if his ridden career was shorter than anticipated.

Will be thinking of you tomorrow x

turkana

Visit site
Arranging the death of a much loved horse is tough for a caring owner but to me it's my last act of love.
Being so upset shows how much you love him - I'm sure he knows that he is loved.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
In the line of my work I meet so many horses that would wish they lived with you OP, to be safe in your hands and to know a dignified and timely passing after enjoying a wonderful life.

George is a lucky horse to have you. I am so sorry and certainly know how you feel. Treasure the wonderful memories and be proud of the care and love your lovely horse has had.

eggs

Visit site
So sorry to hear this but what a lucky horse to have you as his owner. Spoil him rotten tomorrow and remember the good times. x

Griffin

Visit site
Such a sad time for you, even though it is the kindest decision. George sounds like such a lovely and well loved boy. Lots of hugs, x