saying goodnight to my beautiful girl today

my bfg

Visit site
After 8 years of having the absolute honour of looking after my beautiful girl her arthritis has advanced to the point I can no longer keep her pain free.
From the moment we met she was a little fighter, she's been through so much but still adores people and is truly a gentle giant.
The last two weeks shes gone downhill quickly and even though this week I have increased her bute to an extremely high amount to give her one last good week she still isn't completely comfortable.
She's always been a very intelligent girl and although it may sound crazy I do honestly believe shes picked up on what's happening. Each time someone has visted her this week theyve become upset, she then walks over to me and calmly puts her head on my shoulder and last night I sat in her stable talking to her, she then laid down right next to me with her head on my knee for over an hour, not asleep just resting. Like I said it sounds crazy but its helping me to think she's not scared.
I think she's ready for today, she's tired now and this is the only thing I can do to ensure she never hurts again.
She is truly my horse of a lifetime and when I feel ready to care for another, if I am able to achieve a bond even half as special as ours is I will feel very blessed

Shadowdancing

Visit site
Crying at my desk! I'm so so sorry this has to happen but you know you are doing the right thing by her. Wishing your sweet girl a peaceful passing and thinking of you. :(

Enfys

Visit site
Doing what is best for them sucks, big style.
I hope she passes peacefully, and that you will find peace in knowing that she would thank you.
Hugs xx

fishy

Visit site
Such a brave decision, but it sounds like you truly know her and have a wonderful bond. Happy memories and the knowledge that she is no longer in pain will help you. Thinking of you 😢 x

Tobiano

Visit site
oh my goodness, that has made me cry! Cannot imagine how you are feeling mybfg, but what a wonderful owner you clearly are and you could not have done more for your lovely girl. x x x

fatpiggy

Visit site
Its so hard but when you know and accept that you can't cure the ravages of old age, it comes as something of a relief to know that what you are doing is right, and humane and kind. The vet will come and take all her aches and pains away. My girl was PTS for the same reasons and more. Her dear old body was just plain worn out and I wasn't satisfied that her good days were outweighing the bad ones any more. Now she sleeps safely and forever.

Mrs B

Visit site
So very sorry. It's the worst thing when you have to make these decisions, but it sounds like she's ready for her next big adventure ...

I hope it goes as smoothly as possible for you both and please post some pictures of your gorgeous girl when you feel up to it.

Kate x

mytwofriends

Visit site
You love her, she loved you until the end and you'll have wonderful memories to treasure.

Hugs to you, OP. You know you're doing what's right for your beautiful girl and your pain will diminish in time.

julie111

Visit site
I am another with a tear in the eye, I am so sorry! What a lovely bond you both have, I hope she crosses rainbow bridge in total peace, hugs to you and stay strong xx

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I am sorry you have this upset, but know you are doing the last big service you can do for a horse.

OH's Charlie Horse seemed to know too. The day before we had photos and carrots, and then he took a trip round the yard. I mean, he decided to go look everywhere. His old stable, the grooming parlour, the field, the school. He just took us and had a last look round.

He seemed very at peace with it all.

(((Hugs))))

Madam Min

Visit site
Sending you hugs, thinking of you. My auntie said goodbye to her horse today, she was around 20, auntie had had her from 5. Very very sad but for the best and she'd had a wonderful life so deserved a dignified death xxxxxxxxxx

my bfg

Visit site
Thank you so much to everyone for your kind words, she passed peacefully and with dignity.
When I got her in from the field she went round to every stable and rubbed her head on each doorway, I was always constantly amazed by her intelligence but that was to much even for me.
She was loved by so many people and will be forever remembered x

Sandstone1

Visit site
I'm so sorry for your loss. It's so hard isn't it. I hope in time you can remember and smile at the memories of your happy times.

BBP

Visit site
I'm so sorry, she sounds like a lovely girl who was lucky to have someone who loved her so much.

Ceriann

Visit site
So very sorry. You clearly loved her so much and she will have known that - that's a true bond and you followed that through to the end. It's truly the worst part of having them but you did the right thing for her x