scabby back

Marilyn

Visit site
quite simply my cob has scabs (just small ones but about 15 on one side and three on other other) where her saddle would do. She's rugged but I think that keeping them covered isn't helping them heal as it keeps them warm. I'm thinking of clipping the area as it's hairy and then keeping her rugged...what do you think?

Kristine

Visit site
maybe give it a hibi scub and see how it goes from there! I'd strongly advise you get another opinion on that one! just from someone with a bit more knowlege than me

Marilyn

Visit site
No discomfort at all and it's very localised so I think it might be a sort of sweat rash. Hibiscrub's a good idea, but do you think I should clip her there first? I'm also worried that if I don't and I get her back really wet that she'll get cold.

Accy

Visit site
Sounds very similar to my friends cob, turn out to be a midge allergy, maybe worth having a skin scrape done.

Marilyn

Visit site
no, she's not clipped at present but she has thick hair. The numnah is fairly clean but it's a poly pad so it is very thick. Seems an odd time of year to have a midge allergy...the midges have gone away.

Marilyn

Visit site
should have also explained that they are tiny and under the hair so, if you didn't poke and prod as much as I do, you wouldn't actually see them, it's just that the hair is slightly raise in those tiny areas. Sorry, probably made it sound worse than in it!

Tia

Visit site
It's grease spots. Absolutely nothing to worry about. It is where the pores get clogged up with excess grease at this time of year. If you clip her they will go away. Only generally happens in winter time.

Tia

Visit site
Just re-read and you are saying scabs? Then that is rain rash probably. Pick the scabs off gently and brush the hair the wrong way. Oxygen kills the bacteria. MTG by Shapley's is brilliant for this but you have to order it from the States.

Marilyn

Visit site
Thanks all, it's no ringworm, I'm sure of that. I think they're more likely to be grease spots. When I say scabs, they are between 1 and 2mm in diameter. I've been putting some lavender wash on over the weekend which has brought up loads of the grease and they look a lot better now. Thanks for all your help. It's so difficult to describe a condition without pictures!