Scabby bumps

Lvrees

www.supergroom.co.uk
Hi,

My horse has scabby bumps on his haunches and on his chest. Vet did tests and said they were an allergy to a fly bite. I've since moved yards and no more bumps have come up but the bumps have gone scabby, they are well weird like they have a core to them. Vet gave me some shampoo for demetitus in dogs, and hes been having that on which has softened the scabs, and some deosect to prevent more bites.

The thing is, hes a show horse, and they're quite visable. Does anyone know of any creams I could apply to help them heal quicker?

vicster

Visit site
My horse had an allergic reaction and had the vet out and she said it was hives - he was covered in really bad scabs they were so horrible and quite painful for him too - he had an injection and some shampoo - they will go but it took a while for the hair to come back
smile.gif

GreedyGuts

Visit site
They could be eosinophilic granulomas, in which case injection of steroid into the lumps can make them go away, but obviously has to be done by a vet. They happen usually due to a reaction to fly bites. My pony has had them on her chest for years and they've become quite small and hard, but are still visible in the summer, but she is a pensioner, so it doesn't really matter. When she first had them it almost looked like she had thorns stuck in her, or big blackheads, and you could pick out a dark greenish core.

Lvrees

www.supergroom.co.uk
The cores are white, and the vet didnt mention an injection, hes not in any pain just quite itchy.

The vet ruled out eosinophilic granulomas as initially that was what I thought they were, but she insisted they were just bites which had scabbed up and they were gonna go after using the shampoo.

Am considering using some sort of aloe vera gel or coconut cream to assist with hair regrowth. I will take a picture of them this afternoon.

vicster

Visit site
These were huge bumps and they were weeping and the scabs were awful they did finally settle down after a while but it took so long for the fur to grow back and they were very sensitive he hated them being touched bless him.

Lvrees

www.supergroom.co.uk
aww.... no, thank god, these are very small, like pimples. They are really weird on his gluteals there is four or five bumps in a perfect straight line... like the fly has taken a bite walked two steps taken another etc etc...

I've seen a horse with hives before, but not as bad as your boys. It sounds horrific!!

madhector

www.darlingdressage.co.uk
kept her away from everything for 2 weeks, ie. in with dry hay no other food, then started reintroducing different foods one by one, e.g barley for one week, then mollases the next week, finally we tried the leaves as they surround our paddock and bingo, up came the bumps again, if its an allergy then thats what vets advise, take a while though as you must do each thing seperatly or you wont be able to tell what it is that causes them