scabby legs

dingle12

Visit site
tips please we have a livery at our yard cob, fethers clipped gets mud fever at a drop of an hat, anyway 3 weeks ago came in with scab on the back of his knee looking like mud fever gave it a clean within a few days looked loads better, then leg got swollen got antibiotics for five days of the vet he said could be mite so got frontline also( vet said it couldnt be mud fever too high which i think is rubbish but i am prob wrong) leg went down after treatment scabs cleared up. Just got a call from boss ive been off 3 days to tell me the leg has started again.
So my question is what does it sound like to you? im saying mud fever and wot can i put on it does anyone have any magic potions (sp)
confused.gif

Patches

Visit site
Sounds exactly what my mare gets. Little scab just below the knee. Do you get white grease scabs behind the knees too on this cob? I do with Patches. It's these grease scabs which for some reason seem to end up as a little sore...almost like an oozing ulcer. Clear oozing one day...red and scabby the next day.

Malaseb, hibiscrub, injectable antibiotics, mite jab off the vet, frontline, sudocrem, Dermoline wound cream, dermagel, protocon and Betadine ointment later I still hadn't found a cure.

However, I have a product that was sent to me from America called M-T-G (stands for mane-tail-groom). It's got sulphur in it and within two days of applying this, the scab had disappeared and I've been left with pink healthy skin.

Patches gets this every winter and I'm now going to use this M-T-G at the first sign of problems. Keeping the hair clipped very short right behind the knee is also a help as it stops the grease from clinging to the coat in the first place.

You can use pig oil and mix it with flowers of sulphur (which you can buy from the chemist) which will more than likely be cheaper and just the same as the product I have.

Good luck. Last year my horse's scabby knee got infected and she ended up needing a tendon sheath flush. I've been very keen to find a remedy this year for fear of a repeat.

belly

Visit site
I have known horses with mudfever type scabs on their bodies!!
It could also be just an ordinary cut that has got a bit infected...possibly with the mud fever organism!!
Maybe the vet can give a longer course of A/B and consider changing the prescription.
I have seen horses given topical A/B to be used aswell.

Marnie

Visit site
It sounds like my mare gets. She is really difficult to keep clipped and clean though, so I have a real battle. A friend also has similar with her cob. We have found that MSM cream works best (think it is made by NAF) after clipping and washing - I think this contains sulphur as well so probably works in a similar way to the MTG.

Marnie

Visit site
I have used pig oil and sulphur as well - I thought that it was only used by people in my yard unitl I came on here, I'd never heard of it until I moved to Essex! It did work but it is really messy, especially as I am not able to clip Marnie's legs without sedation!

ThomasTank

Visit site
My cob had mud fever all up his legs and under his belly when he was at a yard where the YO insisted I wash his legs off...never again. He also had mites where he would stamp big craters in the ground he was so itchy poor thing. the vets injection worked wonders for his mites. I have heard that sulphur 200 from the homeopath is really good for what you are describing. It is also really good for ponies prone to sweetich. very cheap and worth a try IMO. One small pillule a day should do the trick. It would be wise to ask the homeopath how to use them as you shouldnt touch them etc

Ashy

Visit site
Having battled my mare's mud fever for 6 months last year and seemingly having used every product and trick known to mankind, i turned to homeopathy in desperation. Asking the body to heal itself - because no matter what i tried it just kept on coming back. I truly didnt believe it would work but I thought anything was worth a try. She had actually developed a hypersensitivity which flared up whenever she came within 6 feet of something wet or muddy. She even had it in the summer when i first got her! So I spoke to 'Ainsworths' and tried 3 remedies and after using silicea 30c for 3 days in her tea the mud fever miraculously cleared up. I couldnt believe it!! Ive had her over a year now and if she shows any sign of mud fever she gets a dose of silicea in her tea and away it goes. I also use sportabac long turnout socks which are the best on the market in my opinion for keeping legs clean, dry and injury free. Hope this helps!