Scam - small business owners be aware.

SnowPhony

Visit site
I won't say what I do as don't want my wrist slapped for 'advertising', but I've recently advertised in a couple of regional equine magazines. I had a voicemail the other day from a gentleman who said he had seen my ad in his favourite magazine, was working for a charity (couldn't exactly tell you who as it was very mumbled) asking to speak to me regarding what I do as he had some charitable work coming up with some endurance and cross country riders.

Now I'll be honest, the words "cross country riders" made me think he wasn't as horsey as he was making out as surely you'd say eventers....but anyway despite thinking it was a bit fishy I called back out of nosiness.

The office number he called from (area code near Inverness) rang out so I called the mobile number he gave me. I asked for him by name and got an abrupt 'Who's that?" in response. As soon as he realised who I was he was nice as pie and launched into his pitch. Didn't want to talk about what I do at all, wanted to make a pledge payable end of August for advertising in a charity magazine. He tried to sweeten me up by saying he really liked my website and my advert and whoever did it clearly did a great job, couldn't remember what magazine he'd seen my ad in (bearing in mind it was previously his favourite) and wanted me to pledge £150 for an advert to help support kids with terminal illness.

I asked him to send me an email with information about the charity (this time Foresters. Definitely different to the mumbled previous name despite me not quite making it out) and details of what they wanted etc. not an unreasonable request. He refused said he wasn't allowed, just needed a yes from me and they would send out an info pack. I refused. Said I don't commit to anything from cold calling and wouldn't be doing anything without further information. He asked again for the yes. Again I said no. He asked if charity support may be something I'm interested in. I said in principle but I don't commit to things over the phone and if I were to be interested I'd contact them myself. He had a bit of attitude with me and didn't like being told no.

On doing some digging online it seems this foresters fund for children are a big ol' scam as I suspected. They get you to say yes, get your address to send you your information pack which includes a proof of the advert you may or may not have agreed to. When you tell them that you didn't agree they say you did by verbal agreement and that it's binding, they send out invoices and bogus debt collection agency letters in order to try and make you pay up. They are connected to a company called vision/ vardis I believe. Google foresters, vision, vardis will tell you all you need to know.

Fast forward to today and after blocking both the original numbers I've had calls that have gone unanswered from the highlands of Scotland, Devon and one from a town on the Norfolk Coast. I answered that one as I have family near there and was very surprised it was the man from yesterday....who's name today was Mike and not Martin! He asked if I wanted to get involved. Said a definite no thank you. He asked why. I said I'm not interested. He offered a reduced rate. Again said no and he got very stroppy which if he was working for a legitimate charity would be extremely unprofessional!

Hopefully I've got rid of them (damn me and my nosiness!) but it seems they are targeting equine businesses at the moment and I thought a heads up to keep your wits about you.

Loftyrules

Visit site
Similar one about offering advertising in the Police 999 magazine going out to 10000 horse riders/owners in the local area. Claim to use publishers Community Media and Richmond House, it's a total scam.

Spot_the_Risk

www.animalcrackersdevon.co.uk
Thanks for the heads up. I get so many calls trying to flog me stuff I'm instantly defensive bordering on rude! Oh, thought of another one which was dodgy a few years ago, advertising on the back of vet appointment cards...

longdog

Visit site
We too get loads of cold calls re "charity" ads & they get quite rude if you say no, but to be honest, I support charities that affect me personally, so I'm not a skinflint, but if I supported all of the requests I get, even genuine ones, I would be out of business!

longdog

Visit site
PS, another scam I have just fallen for (doh) is the rate rebate one. Do not sign up!!!!!!! I think I have managed to extricate myself, but it gave me sleepless nights, I can tell you.........

catembi

Visit site
And don't forget our own, homegrown HHO one where the second your advert goes live, someone phones to say that the finance department told them that the payment didn't go through... This happened to me within a few minutes of me putting my house for sale on the property section, then when I asked how come I'd got an email receipt saying that the payment DID go through, they put the phone down on me. Compounded by the genuine HHO advertising dept refusing to answer the phone for around 90 minutes, so I couldn't verify one way or the other, and gave up with them.