Scary afternoon.

mattilda

Visit site
I brought my boys in at around 12 on Saturday afternoon just before the weather closed in on us. Today I turned them out at 1 for the first time since then. My fields are still frozen but OKish but the gateways are like skating rinks. I spent an hour breaking as much of it as I could with an iron fork and then turned Whisky out. My thinking was put each one out on his own for an hour. Not gonna happen...Whisk was fine for 5 minutes then freaked 'cos he was on his own. I had to bring him back in. So tried with Oliver. He also freaked but then settled and started to graze. So tried again with Whisk and they are now grazing quietly...phew.
Very much heart in mouth moment as they were both individually CRAZY!! Please thaw...please thaw...please thaw. :p

catwithclaws

Visit site
our yard has very limited turnout in winter and neither of mine had been out since last wednesday (ive got a 21yr old forester who ive had to walk in-hand each day to stop him getting stiff, and a 19 month old filly). so last nite, decided to 'sod' the possibility of churning up my field, and put them out for 40 minutes or so while i mucked out and did haynets etc.

well oh dear god, it was like some huge rodeo display. they were just hammering round and round and round leaping and bucking and just going mental. youngster spun and bucked in my face as i let her go (cue spare knickers) and ive had my old boy since he was 8 and never in that time have i ever seen him buck, ridden or otherwise. his back legs were about 5 feet in the air!! just wish i'd had a camcorder :D having said that, its going to be interesting when the time comes 2 back my youngster, as if yesterdays display is anything 2 go by, she can buck for britain!!