Scary evening - Colic/ Thumps

Bright_Spark

Visit site
Not long got back in and feeling rather wired.

Hubby did horses this evening. Got them in at about 5.30pm. Amber seemed normal at first, but was not interested in hay or feed. Then she laid down in stable, which is very unusual but she didn't appear too distressed.
H called me, then watched her for a bit. YO kept an eye on her while hubby picked me up and we went back to yard as she was still the same. YO called about 6.40pm to say Amber was more uncomfortable, and maybe call the vet.

I did so and explained that I thought she had colic. Was told that I would be called back with an ETA for vet.

Got to yard and Amber was down in stable. Tried to go flat out a couple of time and was also shaking at times. She was twitching like a dog dreaming.

Vet arrived at about 7.45pm and Amber got up. Took her rug off and after a quick check, he said she had 'thumps', rather than colic. He gave her a couple of injections and then asked me to walk her about.

Afterwards he gave her a rectal. Said there were no blockages and she had droppings and a full bladder. By this time, she had perked up and was happy to eat a handful of hay.

Suggested we give her a small amount of hay, then she could have more if ok.
Left her just before 10pm and will probably go back up about 1am to see how she is doing. Fellow livery is going to check on her about 6am, and I'll probably be back up soon after.

So, fingers crossed she's ok now, was odd as really did seem like she had colic. Oddly, she hadn't been charging round the field or seemed stressed. Vet thinks it was that coupled with a calcium deficency (normal cause for thumps apparently). That's most of the information I can find out. Vet also suggested feeding her alfa-a and that her Fast Fibre could be low in calcium (am googling to check!)

Does anyone have any experience of Thumps? Apart from shaking and thumping sound she doesn't seem to have any other 'normal' symptoms or causes.

Lemon Whirls and strong tea on offer if you get this far

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Thank you for posting this, I have never come across it before, it really does show that you learn something new every day. It sounds as if your mare will be ok, thank goodness, glad it was nothing more serious. :)

Bright_Spark

Visit site
Little update on Amber. She seemed bright enough this morning, so put her out for a couple of hours. Got her and Matti in, tied up with a haynet and water so I could watch her. She started to get very tired so I put her in the stable where she laid down. Started acting like she did last night so called the vet. He got the bloods he took last night tested and said he'd call with results. A short while later, he called back saying the results were not back, but he was going to pop over and check her anyway.

Amber looked quite bad again, laying flat out and groaning. Suddenly she did a half roll, got up and started tucking into her haynet. By the time the vet arrives, she was quiet again. All vitals were normal and vet said her results showed she has a low grade infection, poor girl. He gave her some anti-biotics and left me some pastes to give her and asked me to update him on Monday (but to call vets if at all worried over weekend). By the time he was done, Amber was quite perky again.

She tucked into her tea, ate the whole lot and seems brighter in general so hopefully she is on the road to recovery. I on the other hand, am on the road to a bottle of wine and the biggest chocolate bar I can find!

Chestnutmare

Visit site
Oh bless her strangely my mare was also like this tonight I put it down to mild colic but am on edge tonight really hope your mare continues to perk up and revert back to normal

longdog

Visit site
I have NEVER heard of the Thumps - sounds very scary. Do hope she is ok & that you find out the cause. Keep us posted. Scarlet had colic last year & I remember how scared we all were. It is horrible when it comes out of the blue like that.

LD xx

MochaDun

Visit site
One thing HHO is is educational. Another one who'd not heard of this condition before. Hope her infection clears up very soon and you or her don't have another night like the last two tomorrow. Enjoy your wine and hope you can relax.

Bright_Spark

Visit site
Thanks everyone :)

Glad I've been able to educate- trust my horse to have a episode of something no one has heard of before :rolleyes: Bless her.

In some ways, am feeling a bit happier now I know what is wrong. Will be going to tack shop tomorrow to see if I can get her anything to help with her immune system. Pink Powder is meant to be good isn't it?

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
We found that pink powder didn't suit two of ours at all :eek: I think it may have something to do with the minerals etc in our soild/haylage, so I would be a bit careful.

Bright_Spark

Visit site
We found that pink powder didn't suit two of ours at all :eek: I think it may have something to do with the minerals etc in our soild/haylage, so I would be a bit careful.

Ah, thanks for that, might have a look at what else is about then, or leave for now and see how she does. Don't want to make her feel worse.

Bright_Spark

Visit site
Well, Amber has been a lot brighter today. She is still not 100%, but is much better than yesterday. Was not impressed with the huge syringe of anti'bs I had to shove down her throat though!

Just a musing really, but could the infection had caused the calcium deficiency? Thinking that maybe she did start with colic (again maybe caused by the infection) and that led on to the thumps. Colic can be a cause of hiccups- but the deficiency needs to be there too. I could be completely wrong of course, but am just trying to see if these could all be linked together.