Scenario re: buying / selling / crossing over horses. WWYD?

fuze

Visit site
Scenario: your horse is up for sale, because you just don't click. He's reasonably priced, so hopefully won't take too long to sell (but with the current market, who knows). What appears to be your perfect horse virtually falls into your lap, at the right price, and at that price he's unlikely to be available for long. What do you do? Baring in mind there would be the option of cheap grass livery as a go-between, and the one for sale is young and only in occasional work.

Do you buy anyway, and hope for a quick sale? Or bury your head in the sand and pretend you saw & heard nothing? :confused3: WWYD?

Enfys

Visit site
... and this is why I have so many horses ;)

If the right horse has fallen into your lap, and you can afford it, go for it. Everything happens for a reason I think. Put whichever one will do best out on grass livery for a while and keep advertising the youngster, even take a drop in price, as every week you keep him costs you more anyway.

splashnutti1

Visit site
go for it!

if you genuinly believe this is the horse for you it will all work out in the end :) As Enfys correctly says everythin happens for a reason:)

My sister had a similar senario, brought a horse for 2000, 6 year old mare didnt click, found out 2 months in a horse she had adored for years was for sale for 1800 (a 18 year old ex hunter). She brought the older horse and sold the young one for a loss but was the best thing she ever did. she had 10 fantastic years with the old lad before saldy losing him 3 months ago.

follow your heart hun its usually right :)

SadKen

Visit site
Horses you do click with come along so rarely, I'd definitely buy. Sounds like there's a good option for a short cross over period with the grass livery as well. Shouldn't take long to sell if you're prepared to take a drop on the youngster (and maybe add 'must go as I have a new horse' to the adverts) - as a buyer, I understand this, it's a valid reason for sale, and I figure that I'll be able to get a nice bargain!

montanna

Visit site
I did this. Was offered an amazing opportunity for a horse on full loan a week after I had retired my mare.

I was supposed to be deciding what to do with the mare first (loan as a companion, bloodbank, PTS etc) but I took him anyway, put my mare on grass livery, and kept the pair of them! :)

Definitely do it.

fuze

Visit site
Enfys, I like your logic. lol.

Glad I'm not thinking horribly irresponsibly!! The grass livery in mind is on a different yard, so chances are I'd try to move both there for ease. It's 2mins from work, great hacking, just basic facilities... but at the price I could probably keep two there for less than I'd pay for one where I am currently.

I was holding up well until my curiousity got the better of me and I tried the one for sale. It just felt right, which it's been a long time since I've sat on a horse that's made me say that.

Gah. Best get raiding the piggy bank... :eek:

Kelly1982

Visit site
I never wanted 2 horses, didn't wanna struggle with money or time. then found out my mare had to be retired and about the same time a fellow livery offered me her gelding who I had had a soft spot for. Brought him, broke him and haven't looked back, I adore him. Think fate had a part to play there.

I would just make sure how long you can afford two horses like that for incase your horse doesn't sell as quickly as hoped or if you can afford to take a drop in price if need be. And will you have time for 2 horses etc. if you can then I would say go for it!! Not often the horse of your dreams comes along but don't bankrupt yourself for it either

springtime1331

Visit site
I'd go for it. I was in the same situation over the summer, had my mare about to go to Newmarket equine and the vets weren't sure what we were looking at. My cousin then found me an absolute gem of a youngster. I was slightly worried the vets would say that hard work was what my mare needed, because if so I would be in trouble as I only have time to work one. Anyway, I went for it, bought the youngster and it turned out my big mare had two retireable injuries so is now out at grass. Was a gamble but worked out well for me.

fuze

Visit site
Sounds like a resounding "go for it", plus I've managed to find a yard with all the facilities that will take one on temporary grass livery.

He arrives next week. AHH!!

fuze

Visit site
I feel fully within my rights in blaming HHO entirely for this... :eek: :D

IMG_20130929_174711_977_zpsa686ef4f.jpg

Caol Ila

Visit site
Cute!

I hadn't got around to putting my first horse on the market when my second (and current) horse appeared for sale. Tried her a couple times, passed vet, etc. etc. Then I had two. Oy! First horse had a sharer for about a year and then I eventually sold her when I went to uni.

SuperH

Visit site
Buy the one you want. If you don't you will regret it! Put the other on sales livery if you don't have the room.