schooling a young horse

LYNDSEY

Visit site
Hello everyone, I wonder if any one has any useful tips on excercises for schooling young horses. My mare is four and I am finding it so difiicult to get her to bend, i know she is young but it is quite frustrating. Is there any specific excersices that you think may help or is it just a case of lots of bending and changng of reigns?

LYNDSEY

Visit site
How about saying "why don't you have a look in your area and seeing if there are any good instructors in your area" rather than sounding like a stuck up bitch

_jetset_

Visit site
I agree with Super_Kat... why don't you look into having a few lessons? Maybe look for one in the discipline you are thinking of concentrating on...

I know it made a huge difference for me and my mare when i first bought her. Even though she was 6 years old she had only been broken for 6 months so was like riding a 4 year old in reality!

Good luck!

siennamiller

Visit site
SL, I don't think SK meant it like that. You came over as a bit rude then
confused.gif

Vey

Visit site
Blimme what a lot of short fuses today!

Four really is quite young, and the horse's skeleton is not mature at this age, so take it slowly. Mix hacks and learning about the great world outside the school with schooling - and make sure the youngster does not get over-tired.

Make sure you are establising lots of forward movement at this age, that you have good impulsion. Keep all lessons short. It can be fun to try a kind of modified 'barrel racing' - walking, trotting and cantering up to and round a cone, and of course making sure you do this both sides, and don't 'motorbike' or anything. Lots of transitions. As flony says, big and small circles, serpentines, etc etc. But not too much. Much much better to take your time and keep the horse fresh and enjoying it.

serena2005

Visit site
GTS i love reading your posts, you usually say what im thinking!!

it take ages for horse to bend, and alot of work and persistance and patience, you just need basic schooling skills, circles, transistions... and lessons of course!

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
[ QUOTE ]
rather than sounding like a stuck up bitch

[/ QUOTE ]

What a lovely person you are! Oh I don't believe I've ever welcomed you to the forum.....Welcome, It's wonderful you've already started making helpful contributions
grin.gif