Schooling exercises?

Oaksflight

Visit site
Anyone got any good schooling exercises they'd like to share? Only walk and trot work for a week - vets orders, and only in the school. So would like to try make it more interesting for him, and give him something to think about.

Thanks x

rach1984horse

Visit site
When I was at college was told to make sure I never went a complete lap of the school without doing something. Ie changing direction, a circle or a transition. This made sure you were keeping working rather than drifting off into your own wee world.

You could try things like serpentines, or jug handles (can't remember the technical name, but it's big and French and don't think could spell it anyway).

Or trying to get a told of a couple of walk/trot dressage tests. And working through the movements.

bellgave

Visit site
How about doing some helter skelter circles..... Start off on a 20 meter circle and gradually get smaller and smaller then build back out hetting larger and larger. I use to do this a lot and its great for flexibility!

Just make sure you use a corner as your guide line, so that you ride into the corner no matter what size your cirlce is.

And try safety pins........... do a 10 meter circle then trot forward down the longside about 1/3 of the way then do another 10 meter circle then trot forwards to rejoin the original circle. Great for collecting on the circle then powering out and moving forwards on the strait bits.

I had forgotten how useful these excercises are!!! I think Ill be at it tommorow!!!

Enjoy

Claireg9

Visit site
depending on whats wrong with neddie, you could try some shoulder ins, half pass, leg yield, 10, 20 metre circles, serpentines, figure of eights, shallow loops, trott poles, walk poles, transitions halt walk trott up and down, perfect your straightness and square halting down the centre line. walk on a long rein, trott on long rein... the list is endless!

Oaksflight

Visit site
Just a jarred leg, he's working through it though and was fine last night at end of a 30 min schooling session. All good ideas that I shall be using! We usually do a lot of schooling, transitions and leg yielding, and it's getting a bit boring so need fresh ideas!