Schooling green pony

Highflinger

Visit site
I have a young green pony and I am not a good rider although we are having lessons. He was backed when I purchased and had hacked out a few times but that was all. I have now had him a year and I feel we should be further forward than we are. I feel we may progress better if I had someone to school my pony for me. I know of someone who would come once or twice a week to school for half an hour at a time. Realistically how many sessions do you think we would need to get him going nicely - he walks and trots nicely in the school but canter has only been occasionally out hacking in straight ( in reality wobbly) lines so far! Cantering in the school for me on a pony I am not confident will be able to go round a corner makes me very nervous.. I am not bothered about jumping - something he has not done at all. I would ideally like to be able to have a pony who is balanced in walk , trot and canter and ride a decent low level dressage test.
I am thinking if he was more schooled by someone competent so he knows what is required I could then improve more quickly.

matt_m

Visit site
Impossible to say - totally depends on the horse/pony.

Your best bet is to have someone competent school but then also have lessons with him so you can get the best out of him and increase your confidence.

lamlyn2012

Visit site
Would you be able to put him on a schooling livery for a while where he would be worked consistently and professionally. You would still visit and ride him yourself sometimes but you'd have help and support for both of you.

Highflinger

Visit site
Thanks for your replies . I know it will vary from horse to horse but I would have hoped to be confidently cantering him in the school after a year but we are not and I feel the combination of his inexperience and my inability is slowing us down.

A schooling livery is not really an option as he is also a companion for my other horse and there is no where local - the ones local seem only interested in very high level event horses not my little pony.

Mari

Visit site
Where are you? I have a super trainer who regularly comes to me & schools my new ‘green’ pony whilst I am on the sick list. I also have a lesson when I can.