Schooling Livery

Cantata007

New User
Visit site
HI

Just after a bit of advice. I plan to send my 5 yo for schooling in the new year. I have broken him myself, but I have been ill for the most part of this year and and so I am afraid he has been a little neglected on the schooling front. Last time I rode him was August, and I still haven't managed to get him out on the road.

So I want somwhere I can send him for 1 - 2 months that will sort him out and hopefully return him as a "proper" horse.

Trouble is I have no experience of these places, he is currently kept at my house, in a paddock with a field shelter and not at all used to 'yard life'.

has anyone got any adivice as for what I should be looking for, what sort of prices I would expect to pay if he was kept at grass livery, and any suggestions for places in worcestershire?

Sorry to have rambled on, hope somone can help!!!

Caz

jomiln

www.westendfarmstud.co.uk
When we have enquiries from potential clients for schooling livery we always get them to visit us - see horses worked and if possible let them know where we will be competing so that they can if they wish come and watch horses that have schooled by us out and about.

Also maybe ask if they have any previous clients they would let you talk to.

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
As above, as for costs they vary, but roughly £120 to £180pw. Best to try and go on recommendations and go somewhere that will allow you to ride him before bringing him back.

happihorse

Visit site
I sent my three year old to a professional horse trainer in August 2005 to be broken and ridden away. I heard about him by word of mouth and went to view the yard before arranging the training. Although I originally only wanted the horse backed and ridden away so that he could be tunred away until this year, I decided to keep him going for a couple of months. He was ridden in the school, across fields and hacked out.
I had the horse back in the spring and will be taking him back to the trainer to bring him back into work so that I can then take over his schooling.
The schooling livery cost me £155 per week with farrier, worming etc bills on top. If you are only planning to put the horse at livery for a short time, the trainer will probably not be keen on letting your horse mix with others grazing so you may need to keep him on full livery.
As it is so expensive, you need someone who is going to get on and do the job. It is so easy for some trainers to spend weeks lunging and long reining them, running you up a substantial bill in the process!
Like you, I keep my horses at home and my youngster had not been in a yard environment before. When he first went up for schooling, the first week he was very stressed and exhausted, but he got obver this very qickly and settled into his new way of life.
I think that the main thing about choosing a trainer and yard is to make sure that you are happy at the level of care and that you are able to visit and see the schooling taking place.
Good Luck

Cantata007

New User
Visit site
Thankyou for your reply, very detailed and put my mind at ease about the whole stabling thing.

I think I have now found a place that a freind reccommended, near by. It is run by a top western rider and uses a bit of parrelli work alongside traditional methods. The yard seems really organised and I am applying for him to go to school in february!! Will be going to check the place out after christmas. He will be kept on full stabled livery but they say they are well used to horses not used to it.

So hopefully I will finally have the horse I always wanted!!
smile.gif