Schooling prob (long)

frannieuk

Visit site
I have a 6yo mare who was backed last year, had been only lightly handled before that. She's coming on really well, been out and done a few little SJ comps and jumps happily both out and at home. However, she is starting to rush her fences. The first few times are fine but as soon as she seems familiar with the fences she starts to speed up. As we approach the fence she starts to try and rush, I try to get her back between hand and leg but she sticks her head in the air and then either jumps very hollow or we get there on a completely wrong stride and end up cat jumping or going from under the fence. She doesn't seem worried about the fences and we're only jumping 2'6 and 2'9 out. Her canter can still be a bit green but is improving all the time. I have done a fair bit of gridwork with her at home which is helping and I have started to lunge her in a Peassoa but I'm a bit unsure of where to go next to keep her listening to me - she's currently in a running martingale and a full cheek french link. I'm reluctant to bit her up as she has a soft mouth although someone did mention a mexican grakle to me as a possibilty. Anyone got any ideas with regard to any exercises I can do to keep her listening to me, and any advice on the grakle noseband as I've never used one! She naturally has a high head carriage too.
Biscuits and mulled wine if you get this far!!
Thankies
grin.gif

ETS Her teeth have just been done and I don't think her saddle / back is causing any problems although I am having the backman out to check just in case!

Kristine

Visit site
You can always try trot/ canter poles before the jumps at home as the horse has to consentrate then!
Or you can try cantering up to a pole on the floor between the wings (like a jump) but be prepared for her to jump it after a couple of times around she will learn she doesn't have to rush! then you gradually raise it! Those are the ways I broke my ex steeplechaser into poles and not rushing!

Grackles are amazing! I'll post some pictures of my boy as he moved from flash to drop and on to grackle.

flyingfeet

Visit site
Lots and lots of schooling!

Set one jump up and canter round in a rough figure of 8 pattern (the jump being to change leads rather than a flying change)

You need to get into a "cog" as Tim puts it, a bouncy forward going canter, but no rushing. You need to be careful not to start "attacking the fences" as you get more confident, which is easily done.

Circles in an around fences are good, so she doesn't learn to fix on a fence (although be careful not to teach her to run out either)

kirstyfk

Visit site
Have you used placing poles/trotting poles with your grids (or just a single fences)? This keeps them consentrating on the poles rather than rushes into the jumps. Last year with my baby I didn't really mind if she got the striding wrong as I feel they have to learn for themself rather than being placed at everything fence.

frannieuk

Visit site
Thanks for the advice guys, the problem seems to be worse at shows (4f in JO yesty, followed by 20f and a broken pole in next class
crazy.gif
) but I'm certainly going to try your tips.
kirstyfk - I've tried placing poles, V poles and poles on the landing side to back her off a bit, I agree with you about letting babies learn to sort themselves out with their striding too, just want to be able to have a little more control before a fence! I'm wondering if it'll develop as her canter gets stronger.

kirstyfk

Visit site
I would try a grackle. I was lucky with Tia as she was very sensible, she was jumping 2'6 tracks 2 weeks after she had seen her first jump and during the summer as her canter got better her jumping did too. I know you don't want to bit her up at such a young age but it might be needed! You could just try a stronger bit once and then go back into the snaffle.