Schooling problems ...

Visit site
I realised something yesterday when I was schooling Pug - he goes great when being schooled on his own but when other horses are in the arena he is totally distracted. Last night I schooled him around a group lesson which was going on in the indoor arena because the weather was too horrible to ride in and I found that he wasn't listening to me and was too busy watching the other horses and showing off almost!
blush.gif
crazy.gif

Then when we cantered he grabbed the bit between his terth and fixed his head to the outside and just tanked off with me
crazy.gif
I have had his back and teeth and saddle checked so he is not in any pain. There was no way I could bend him properley as he had such a tight hold of the bit and everytime I tried he bucked.

anyone have any advice or have any of you had any similar problems to this before?

Rhianne x x x

Iestyn

Visit site
Try teaching him to do shoulder-in. When a horse is stright from nose to dock he has all his weight and power and you v's horse isn't going to be a successful outcome, However, by putting him into shoulder-in a) it "breaks" the above, and he can't use all of his weight and b) it shows that all his concentration is on you. A horse that is "submissive" (which is a criteria in dressage - submission) is one that has 101% concentration on the rider will not take any notice of what is going on around it and will be listening to you. Whether you do dressage or SJ or eventing or just hacking, you need to achieve submission or it could end up rather nasty with your horse in charge. In working towards shoulder in (or submission), you need to ensure that your horse is going forward and moving away from your leg.

Visit site
thanks for that s_v, he is not normally the sort of horse to nastily run away from you - he is v laid back I just need to get his schooling sorted really. I will try the shoulder in. thanks again x

Iestyn

Visit site
Not sure of your experience - you never know on here LOL
grin.gif
but if you're not used to doing such movements then I would enlist the help of a good instructor - shoulder-in and all lateral work is on a progressive scale and there's other things you need to teach first before getting to that stage. Sorry if you already know all that!
laugh.gif

muffinino

Visit site
I had asimilar problem of 'distraction' with Titan at first - he came unbroken from a private farm so had never seen other horses. I made a point of riding in the school with other people as much as possible (everyone was very understanding!) so that he got used to it&is getting much better&more attentive to me. I'm also planning to hunt him&have done a pleasure ride and a days cubbing to get him used to large crowds. He loves being around other horses and people and just wants to sniff everyone! But he's learning that he can't and must pay attention to me. Am looking forward to trying to keep him listening at shows during the summer.
crazy.gif

I suppose it's just a case of trying to expose him to as much as possible so that he isn't fascinated by everything bar you!