Schooling - varied or focussed

4whitesocks

Visit site
OK - with a youngster (and just for clarity my definition of a youngster is either a young horse starting out or, as in my case, a 5yo that was backed & hunted without a 'proper' education') would you focus on flatwork alone for a period until you establish really solid foundations without any jumping etc. or would you vary your schooling to include SJ & possibly xc as a rounded education?

We have our transitions fairly well established, able to work long and low but haven't really established an outline or him working through very well from behind yet....
My instinct tells me he'll get phenomenally bored and frustrated if we don't intersperse with some 'fun' stuff that he enjoys - and xcountry & sj schooling should help him learn to balance himself so should be benficial but what does anyone else think

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I believe you insticts are wrong. I would definately stick with the groundwork. You can add loads of variation to it so he won't get bored. The do x country & sj schooling to help him balance himself is wrong. He will rush into his fences, jump them hopefully & then probably storm away from them. This is what you don't want. You need to establish his balance before you go onto that.

You have done loads of transitions & that will have helped but you need to do loads of leg yielding on both reins. This will teach him to bring his hocks underneath & support himself. This will also give him so much more power as he will be working correctly from behind. This will inturn teach him to balance himself. Additionally spiral in from a 20mtr circle to a 10 mtr & then out on again. Tios will also establish balance. Initially when he starts working correctly he won't be able to control his new found power but gradually he will get to grips with it.

It will take time, there is no quick fix, quick fixes rarely last anyway. I suspect it may be you who will be the one getting bored, but stick with it. When you have finished your horse will jump beautifully. He will maintain an even canter, he will be balanced, he will turn on a sixpence (showing my age).Remember 95% of showjumping is groundwork only 5% of the time you're in the air.

If you get a chance watch Richard Davison's video 'Dressage for Jumping'...so much information.

Sorry for the length of post.

Good Luck
smile.gif
wink.gif

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
I had to focus on PFs flatwork for several months before jumping because she was a speed demon, but in your case I think it would be wise to include 'fun' stuff, that he's good at too
smile.gif

I'm assuming he's jumping calmly and not going mad.

4whitesocks

Visit site
Thanks for that - I probably should have said that we have established a good leg yield on both reins, I suspect though part of the problem is me! Not that I am getting bored but maybe I just need more lessons (having someone on the ground to tell me when I am not being clear with him)
The tempting thing about breaking it up with some jumping is that he loves to jump - has a nice controlled approach, doesn't rush after the fence (main problem is keeping him straight - which I guess answers my question for me as if he's not straight on the ground he's hardly going to be straight jumping....sorry I'm rambling away to myself now!)

I guess bringing some more pole work into my flatwork might be a simple compromise

Thanks!

4whitesocks

Visit site
Yes PF he is very calm jumping, he has a soft mouth and never tanks - in fact our best trot work is preparing for a jump (again all this is leading me to think that I'm the one that needs to focus more not Sid!!)

He's a very willing horse - never stops - took me a while to get used to that as my last horse would dump me at any available opportunity and stand over me sneering!

Thanks folks!

druid

Visit site
Why not try pole work instead of jumping for now to liven things up a bit? And rememver you can school on hacks too
tongue.gif

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
We hack the babies out regularly - as well as schooling - which makes for a varied and interesting life.

It's so easy for horses to become stale - and we find that variety certainly is the spice of life for the youngsters - as well as the older horses.

4whitesocks

Visit site
Am not brave enough to hack out by myself on him yet with new yard so will try and arrange company at the weekend

BTW we had a great session today - he worked really nicely for me - poor boy the sand arena had just had the sand replaced so it was v deep and really made him lift his feet!!