Schooling whilst hacking

Salcey

Visit site
We haven't got access to a school this winter, and I own a very green chestnut mare who has only been ridden for 18 months.
I'm just interested to know what exercises/tips others have for bringing her on whilst hacking out.

monica123

Visit site
keep all your gaites as you would in the school, ie the same speed umpulsion and also try and keep her round, or work onm it as if you were in the school, hope this helps

xxcharlottexx

Visit site
i dont have a school either, and hacking can be just as good, leg yield down straight paths, rein back to open gates and turn on the forehand/hanches can also come into play there aswell

Keep paces constant as lil_ponies_rock said, but can also have a good gallop across fields to let of steam for good behaviour

horse can also work better as its more interesting than going round and round in circles
smile.gif

Judie

Visit site
Yes leg yielding is good, shoulder in, travers, renvers, then on to half pass, transitions, transitions, transitions (got a thing about those!), collected walk, extended, collected again - oh I could go on....

mpicton

Visit site
Agree with TOG...lots of tranistions! And collecting, extending and even more transitions. Try riding riding various shapes to get her thinking about bending correctly and using herself. Lateral work is a good variation and will keep her mind thinking actively.