Schooling yard not returning passport,WWYD?

smiggy

Visit site
Last autumn I had my mare broken at a yard a considerable distance away. On collection I realised I had forgotten the passport.
I contacted them and was told yes they would post it for me.
Since then I have been contacting them via facebook messages, emails and texts (phone not answered). Originally I was told sorry they had forgotten and would send it, now Im just being ignored.
I paid them a lot of money to have my very easy mare and I am really annoyed that they dont have the curtesy to even reply now.
I need to start taking her out and about so will have to contact breed society and see if I can get a new passport issued and restart her vaccinations.
Am tempted to send them a solicitors letter with an account for new passport or at least make some comment on their facebook wall, just because I am seriously annoyed now!:mad:

smiggy

Visit site
As I said its a considerable distance-3 hrs drive and as they wont talk to me if I go all that way and they arent there would be a bit of a waste of time and fuel!

wench

Visit site
It's probably been lost. I would just ring breed society and sort out a new one. Less hassle, and probably cheaper!

BigRed

Visit site
You have left it a long time, there is every possibility they aren't even there still ? I would probably write a letter to them and even enclose an SAE to make it really easy. Otherwise I think you are going to have to get in the car.

smiggy

Visit site
Numptie question but how did you forget the passport? Isn't it illegal to travel a horse without a passport?

Forgot being the operative word :p

They are still there, its a big livery yard.
I could go up but its going to take a day of my time, about £50 petrol and If i get there and they have lost it (which is what Im assuming otherwise why not post the bloody thing) I have lost even more money

I know I need to just get a new one really, just peeved that they can get off scot free and be so rude as well!

millitiger

Visit site
Sounds like they have lost it so a trip down there would be a waste of time.

Advise the passport issuer of the lost passport and apply for a replacement.

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
I had the same thing happen with a transport company, they took my horse over to Ireland to go training, I arrived two weeks later and the passport had not been given over when they delivered him. It took six months and a solicitors letter to get it back. Getting a ew one was a bit of a non starter as it was JMB one and really did not want to start afresh getting him remeasured over two years.
As for it being Illegal to travel without, not many people are aware of this. At work we use photocopies instead, keeping the original safe. My horse's passport is currently with the HPA so I have to travel without at the moment, but I do have a photocopy just in case I get stopped.

Marydoll

Visit site
Is it a BHS approved yard, if so, get in touch with the BHS to see if they'll intervene on your behalf.
If you dont want to travel to them, ask a soliciter to send a letter on your behalf insisting they return it enclosing an SAE, they had your horse and were responsible for the passport, youve tried several times to get it back to no avail.
Get solicitor to tell them if they dont return it they will be liable for the cost of starting a new one with cost of having to restart innoculations as well, they might find it easier to find it and stick it in the post.

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
Is it a BHS approved yard, if so, get in touch with the BHS to see if they'll intervene on your behalf.
If you dont want to travel to them, ask a soliciter to send a letter on your behalf insisting they return it enclosing an SAE, they had your horse and were responsible for the passport, youve tried several times to get it back to no avail.
Get solicitor to tell them if they dont return it they will be liable for the cost of starting a new one with cost of having to restart innoculations as well, they might find it easier to find it and stick it in the post.

this. send the letter special delivery so they have to sign for receiving it too.

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
Why would you have to start vaccination again? Will the vet not have a record of vaccination having been done and can therefore fill in the new passport to say so? Am I the only person wondering if the schooling yard has used your passport for a horse they've sold but didn't have a passport for? Although the most likely thing is they've lost it, as others have said. There's probably no point chasing the schooling yard, but if you do, ask for it to be sent to you signed delivery. I'm surprised they haven't already tried the it-must-be-lost-in-the-post line.

sywell

Visit site
The passport issuer might be difficult as they know another passport is about and might be used by another horse. The second passport would be stamped duplicate. Ask your local trading standards office to give them a ring as it is possible an offence under the horse passport order.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Name the yard maybe someone on here could call in there and ask them

Why do people put posts like this? You know you can't name and shame, and OP would probably get an infraction if she did..

I would contact the breeding soc and tell them what has happened, saying they won't return the passport etc - if nothing else it will start the ball rolling re getting another, and they too may sent a letter.

Otherwise I would go with Marydoll's suggestion of the letter..

cptrayes

Visit site
Tell us the rough location of the yard. If I live within 25 miles of it I will go, armed with a letter from you, and sit in their yard or just outside their gate if I am thrown off their yard until they give me his passport or write me a cheque for the cost of replacing it.

kirstyl

Visit site
Why would you have to start vaccination again? Will the vet not have a record of vaccination having been done and can therefore fill in the new passport to say so? Am I the only person wondering if the schooling yard has used your passport for a horse they've sold but didn't have a passport for? Although the most likely thing is they've lost it, as others have said. There's probably no point chasing the schooling yard, but if you do, ask for it to be sent to you signed delivery. I'm surprised they haven't already tried the it-must-be-lost-in-the-post line.

I managed to lose my horse's passport and had to restart vaccinations and apply for new Wetherby's passport. The vets can only go from the date they started vaccinating the horse so unless you've owned the horse from day one and the same vet has vaccinated the horse and has the records, you will have to start the process again to compete under British Racing and British Riding Club rules. Annoying thing is that I've found his passport - three years after I sold him!

pixiebee

Visit site
Forgot being the operative word :p

, about £50 petrol and If i get there and they have lost it (which is what Im assuming otherwise why not post the bloody thing) I have lost even more money

it will be cheaper/easier to contact the passport society and explain the situation, they will do you a duplicate.

smiggy

Visit site
Tell us the rough location of the yard. If I live within 25 miles of it I will go, armed with a letter from you, and sit in their yard or just outside their gate if I am thrown off their yard until they give me his passport or write me a cheque for the cost of replacing it.
CPtrayes-I love you :D

yard is in bucks, near addington manor.

restarted vaccs today anyway, prev vaccs with prev owner and details in passport! so cant contact them.
Slightly odd as vet couldnt find microchip and im sure she was chipped but thats another problem, will check that out.

I doubt they would have used the passport as she is a highland and its a highland society passport, they do buy in from ireland but mostly connies.
I dont think theres any malice, just incompetence and now maybe embarrasement. I too am suprised they didnt use the "lost in the post" excuse but its a bit late for them to trot that out now!

Will go down the route of recorded delivery letter on monday, have contacted breed society in the meantime to see what the situation is re replacement.
Have also sent them a message telling them exactly how rude I think they are, so I feel bit better now :)
thanks for advice peeps.

smiggy

Visit site
Guess what turned up in the post today :D
Am very happy, had just printed out all the forms to get a duplicate!