Schoolmasters - how woud you define?

marmalade76

Visit site
Looking at horsequest and saw a 4 year old advertised in the schoolmasters section. I think it is not possible for such a young horse to be classed as a schoolmaster. A schoolmaster should have been there, done that and know the job, a horse that a novice rider could start out competing on. What do you think?

[59668]

Visit site
I agree. I've seen a few ads recently for 4-6 year olds that are classed as ideal first horses, or schoolmasters, and I just think that's crazy. I think the very youngest a horse can be classified as a schoolmaster must be about 8. My mare is 8, and is very green. Tries it on a lot, and I'm learning a lot from her, but would really have preferred something even quieter. She is my first horse.

Cliqmo

Visit site
I think some people don't understand the difference between an allrounder and a schoolmaster- there is NO WAY a 4yr old can be a schoolmaster, as I understand the term anyway
blush.gif

To me a schoolmaster is a horse that has enough experience in one (or more) disciplines to be able to teach/facilitate a novice rider in that particular area.