Sciatia - anyone out there suffer from it

filly190

Visit site
I get sciatia all of a sudden, it lasts for a few days and then goes off. I never know when an attack will happen and the pain!!!

Anyone out there suffer from it, if so what do you advise

Rambo

Visit site
Do you mean Sciatica
confused.gif

If so, then yes, I have suffered in the past, and it is excuciating ! It came on overnight. and disappeared almost as suddenly as it appeared though. It's caused by a trapped nerve in the spine I believe
crazy.gif

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
I suffer from it on and off - can feel it coming on at the mo.
Is literally a pain in the a55!
I find I dont notice it when im working and moving around, but cant sit down when it is really bad. Lieing on my back with my knees bent up relieves it for me.

Bananaman

www.teamtorrent.co.uk
Oh yes, oh yes, oh yes!
frown.gif

Eight months of hell. At first intermitant but a pain sharp enough to stop you dead in your tracks and cry out but then constant with no relief at all.
It's something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy!

No pain killers seemed to touch it at all.
It was indeed a trapped nerve caused by a slipped disc.
Since my op, not a twinge........yey
smile.gif

TGM

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I find I dont notice it when im working and moving around, but cant sit down when it is really bad.

[/ QUOTE ] That's what my OH found - fine working all day but sit down in the evening and it would start.

kildalton

Visit site
The sciatic nerve is the longest nerve in the human body, and nearly as thick as your little finger (I've seen one during an operation) and often gets trapped by the intervertebral discs. You need to see your GP who may recommend physio etc.

Dovorian

Visit site
Am suffering at the mo - most frustrating as I am fine walking about but can't sit on my bum and can't get on the nag, who naturally is being a complete arse with his sub rider!!!

spaniel

Visit site
I suffer badly at times, to the point where I cannot weight bear and need to go up and down stairs on my hands and knees.

I found Bowen and Pilates the most helpful, painkillers just cannot touch that sort of pain.

Am recovering from a slipped disc at the moment, years of back abuse has taken its toll, so please if you are having twinges in your backs dont ignore them like I have for so many years, get yourself seen to quickly!!

hussar

Visit site
Suffered with it for nearly a year and then went to a chiropractor in desperation after GP remedy of ibuprofen and rest (with horses? what a joke) wasn't working. The chiropractor released the trapped nerve in the first treatment session, xrays showed I had a twisted pelvis which was accounting for the rest of my lower back pain, that got sorted and since then I've been going back regularly to check things are still OK. I can't recommend going to see a chiropractor highly enough.

pottamus

Visit site
Oh god yes!!! Never had it before but came off my horse 4/5 weeks ago now and even though I was wearing a back protector, came down hard on my lower back reagion just above my bum. The pain is incredable and is affecting my right leg...shooting pains right down it and sitting is just...forget it...but I have a desk job!
frown.gif

Went to the docs and he confirmed that I have damaged a nerve and it is causing sciatica and that it takes up to 6 weeks to go. Whilst it is much improved I am still suffering and can only be a week off the 6 week deadline. So will be booking into my accupunturist next week...could not do it sooner because the joint down at the back is still painful to touch at times...so no good for physio sessions.
I have kept active but have been struggling on our 7-10 mile Sunday walks...I could cry at times with the pain but you just cannot describe it to people...nor the fact that it is ok whilst riding! My OH just sees me getting on with things and riding and thinks it cannot be that bad!

JACQSZOO

Visit site
Yep I get it occassionaly. And like others it comes on quickly and eventually just disappears. When I get it I get pains in my right leg makes riding very painful.

Horseymum

Visit site
Yes, I am another fellow sciatica sufferer. Starts off in my lower back and within minutes I have it through my hip and a nagging pain in my ankle. Like someone else says it can come on for no apparent reason, I was pushing a trolley round Tesco's and suddenly shrieked and stopped and couldn't put any weight on one leg for a few minutes. I think the other shoppers thought I was quite mad! I go to an Osteopath if it gets really bad but usually rest, heat and gentle exercise free it off. Best thing my Osteopath ever told me was to sleep with a pillow under your knees - try it, it really works!

bellgave

Visit site
Ditto horsey mum. I have a good osteopath and he has given me good advice and exercises which help to both lessen the pain and prevent it. I find the best thing is to do gentle exercise ie. walk and keep it warm. I was having a bad day and went downstairs for a glass of water in the night and I was literally paralysed in the kitchen I couldnt move my left leg at all and my back right down to my ankle was in a spasm. Had to call OH to come and help me, it was so painful but had to laugh at the situation too!!! The more active I am the better it is so if Im having a fitness craze I seem fine. Worrying thing is that it will always be there and will get worse with age!

anniedoherty

www.boxtreegallery.co.uk
I am a fellow sufferer and I sympathise with anyone who has this and other similar back problems. When it is very bad there is no position which is comfortable. Even lying down is agony. I managed on 2 hours sleep a night for the best part of a month because the pain kept waking me up and all I could do was go downstairs and pace around with a wheat bag strapped to my back!

I have been having treatment called "dry needling" which is a type of acupuncture combined with physiotherapy and it is the only thing which has really helped and I've tried a few things in the past 20 years!!

Hope everyone who is currently suffering gets better very soon.

Annie x