Scoliosis (in horse)

Jules19

Visit site
I know how it affects the rider as I have it! However, new mare I've acquired came to me with some interesting issues, including a deep muscle tear 8 months previously in hind quarters, and obvious back issues. We are three months into gentle rehab, with two weekly physio. As muscles are slowly relaxing and we are getting back to vague starting point to start building up top line etc it has become apparent she has a (not massive but visible) scoliosis through her lumbar region.

I suspect this is where all her previous issues have emanated from, but just interested if anyone has had one that has stood up to reasonable workload with something like this? She will obviously be on regular physio list and she has zero topline (cribs and natural giraffe outline!) so am hoping as she begins to move straight and over her back, the muscles will begin to build up correctly and help support her. Happy to put the time in as she has the most willing attitude and her paces are lovely. She also has a decent pop in her, initial hope was she would make me a bit of an eventer, but this may be a vain hope. Would just like her to be able to do a job if poss.

Goldenstar

Visit site
We had one on trial as a hunter and it failed the vetting for this it had a bit an unexplained buck now and again.
I heard later it was doing fine in a hacking low level riding club type home.

Jules19

Visit site
She can stick one in too:rolleyes:, although I am pretty sure it is freshness more than anything. We are on light hacking, walk and trot only and no trotting up hills at the mo, and seeing as she is an ex racer apparently this isn't enough to keep the tingle in her toes at bay! I haven't bought her so no vetting, it is more a case of she can either do a job, or not. Certainly not breeding potential with the conformation issue.