Scoot boots for sensitive soles

Nichlill

New User
Visit site
My mare has sensitive soles this time of year. She wears scoot boots front & back but is still footsy when riding out in woods and on stoney paths.
Has anyone used the pads inside them and has it made a difference.
Now thinking of trying Cavallo trek boots.
Any helpful advice would be appreciated, thanks.

NOISYGIRL2

Visit site
Are you sure its not low grade laminitis ? when mine had thin soles I used keratex hoof hardener, out of the 2 makes of boots I would stick with the scoots

Nichlill

New User
Visit site
Are you sure its not low grade laminitis ? when mine had thin soles I used keratex hoof hardener, out of the 2 makes of boots I would stick with the scoots
I wondered that but my farrier of 5 yrs reassures me it's not. No pulses or heat. She has good upright, solid feet, just really feels the stones. I do have her on restricted grazing and feed hay as precaution anyway. I've ordered the scoot boot comfort pads to try.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I have the cavallo trek and use the harder type pad I think there the support ones, there ok but I find them clumpy and horse seems more liable to trip in them so I am currently looking for something lighter, I like the scoot boots for that reason but one front hoof is an odd shape so I don't think they will work for him:(

I think you can make your pads if you prefer a certain type of material, I use a very dense foam sometimes and they work in the cavallo boots fine.

Nichlill

New User
Visit site
I have the cavallo trek and use the harder type pad I think there the support ones, there ok but I find them clumpy and horse seems more liable to trip in them so I am currently looking for something lighter, I like the scoot boots for that reason but one front hoof is an odd shape so I don't think they will work for him:(

I think you can make your pads if you prefer a certain type of material, I use a very dense foam sometimes and they work in the cavallo boots fine.
Thank you.

paddy555

Visit site
She wears scoot boots front & back but is still footsy when riding out in woods and on stoney paths.

the scoots have some of the thinner soles. I have seen the comment before of horses that are still footy in them.
The easycare gloves have thicker soles and the renegades seem to have the most rigid and thickest soles of all.

I hope the pads will make a difference for you but I suspect that you may end up having to go for a different boot with a more protective sole. If you have to do that and want a performance boot (rather than a more clumpy design) then Rennies or gloves would be a good choice.

Nichlill

New User
Visit site
the scoots have some of the thinner soles. I have seen the comment before of horses that are still footy in them.
The easycare gloves have thicker soles and the renegades seem to have the most rigid and thickest soles of all.

I hope the pads will make a difference for you but I suspect that you may end up having to go for a different boot with a more protective sole. If you have to do that and want a performance boot (rather than a more clumpy design) then Rennies or gloves would be a good choice.
I'll try them if the comfort pads don't work.
Thank you.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
If she is still footy in boots I think I'd be wanting a vet check to see if there is a reason for it.