Scoping

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Has anyone's horse gone off there food after a respiratory scope?

my horse was scoped on Thursday they had to get into the gutteral pouch both sides as he had a snotty nose and they did a tracheal wash and flushed both pouches then injected gelatin antibiotic into the pouches.

He seems fine in himself but he left some hay Thursday night and last night he only ate about half of his hay and left some feed, he did eat his morning feed and has been eating hay today but his not eating as much as he would, do you think he may be sore in his throat and airway? I have left a message for my vet but just thought I would see if anyone else had any knowledge.

Visit site
It is possible that he will be sore. Id soak his feeds and wet his hay for now until your vet gets back to you. It is also possible that by scoping you have aggrevated whatever bug he has and he is feeling under the weather due to fighting off the bug.

Shay

Visit site
Echo that -this is more likely to be the progression of the bug he had before being scoped. Suspected strangles presumably. Better to treat for that until your vet gets back to you.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
his hay is soaked anyway they do think it's the strangles bacteria although he didn't have strangles but he did go off his hay just before he got a gunky nose this was the only symptom he had, they have sent the samples off to find out what it was, I have just been outside to give them there late hay and he had eaten most of the earlier hay he was given he seems ok in himself, I will try my vet again tomorrow thank you for your replies.