Scotland

ragge

New User
Visit site
I´m new here...moved to Edinburgh a year ago from Sweden.
If i want to take over my horse from Sweden is there any equestrian around there, livery yards, competition centres etc...long shot I know!
Does anyone know how to travel from Sweden-Scotland?
And what do i need for the horse to come over?Passports, vaccinations...

bellgave

Visit site
with regards to transportation, the easiest way is for you to contact a profesional shipping company, look in the horse and hound, there are always lots of companys advertising. They will tell you exactly what you need and costs etc, they do all the paper work too!! John Parker is good my sister has used them a lot and has always been happy with their service.

hussar

Visit site
Hi - welcome to Scotland. If you want to get a feel for the horsey scene, get hold of the Scottish and Northern Equestrian magazine, at most big feed stores and newsagents, or have a look at their website www.scotequest.com. The free advertising magazine EquiAds is also worth getting.

Edinburgh is quite well served with busy competition centres within an hour's drive - eg Gleneagles, DABBS, Devon Leisure - and there's a new National Equestrian Centre being developed west of Edinburgh at Oatridge. There are also lots of livery yards - again, see the magazines for details. Good luck and hope you enjoy having your horse over here!

acolvine

Visit site
I moved up from London last year so fairly new as well. Not quiet as far as Sweden!

Equi-ads has lots of advertisements for livery yards many of them in or near Edinburgh.
Also check out the Scottish BHS website as they list their approved livery yards on there. http://www.bhsscotland.org.uk/Approved.html
Word of mouth is often a good way of finding a yard so you could contact some instructors (also listed on the BHS site) as they will have a good idea of yards in your area. That’s how I found mine.

I can PM you my instructors details if you like, she is a british dressage instructor and is based in Broxburn not far from Edinburgh so might be able to point you in the right direction.

Best of luck

foraday

Visit site
Go on to www.findhorsetransport.com

The Legal Requirements

1 Operators Licence-either green (international) or blue (national only) discs usually displayed above the road fund licence. The discs have the operators licence number, expiry date, registration number of the lorry and the transporters company. You can check the validity of the licence number on www.vosa.gov.uk

2 DEFRA Licence-this is a licence given by DEFRA to show that we are competent at transporting horses. These licences will change on 5th January 2007 and you will be able to check the authenticity of the licences much easier, but for now you can check with your local DEFRA office www.defra.gov.uk

3 Hire and Reward Insurance-this is just a standard insurance required to transport for money-just like a taxi company has to insure for business use in case of an accident. This insures the lorry only and any third party vehicle-nothing else!!

4 Employers Liability Insurance-just as a shop has to have this so does a lorry. It insures you when you step on the lorry, any of your staff that travel with the horse etc.

5 Public Liability Insurance-this insures all equipment that you place on the lorry-such as tack, rugs, etc.

6 Care, Custody and Control Insurance-this insures horses on the lorry whilst in the care of the transporter.

CHECK WITH YOUR TRANSPORTER THAT THEY HAVE ALL 6 LEGAL REQUIREMENTS

ALL OF THESE DOCUMENTS MUST BY LAW BE CARRIED ON THE LORRY FOR CHECKING BY THE AUTHORITIES. A LEGAL TRANSPORTER WILL BE HAPPY TO SHOW YOU THESE DOCUMENTS.

YOU AND YOUR HORSE ARE AT RISK IF ANY ONE OF THE ABOVE ARE MISSING!

DO NOT USE THE TRANSPORTER!

MagicMelon

Visit site
There's loads of competition places nearish you. Depends how far you want to travel, Im sure there's lots of small places but I know the bigger centre's who hold lots are DABBS, Gleneagles and Rowallan. They hold lots of BSJA etc. There is also british eventing stuff on in season and being in Edinburgh your in a good place to go to a lot of them.

http://www.rowallanac.co.uk/
http://www.dabbs.info/
http://www.gleneagles.com/defaultpage131cd0.aspx?pageID=209

I think transport wise - Gillies seems to be the biggest Scottish transporter who I believe go abroad as well:

http://www.ericgillie.co.uk/

acolvine

Visit site
I used Eric Gillie to move my two up from London to Stirling. He transports a lot of race horses around the country. The lorries are air-conditioned and have partitions that go from the roof to the floor so horses are well protected. Good price as well.
They both arrived in really good condition and neither seemed particularly bothered.
If Gillie's do go abroad then i would recommend them.

Nic

Visit site
Will 2nd Gillies. My friend transported her youngster with them from here to Gatcome and said they were really good with him, he hadn't travelled far before.

Law

Visit site
I used this person years and years ago and he was very cheap. Horse took a while (4 days) to get to me but he was happy when he arrived.

Gordon Hamilton Horse Transport Based Scotland

Scotland, Wales, Europe and Scandinavia shipping.

Tel: 01771 637870 Fax: 01771 637734