Scotland

scrunchie

Visit site
Which parts are cheap, horse friendly and not full of midges? :D

Looks like we might be moving that way. We've decided that Wales isn't cold enough for us. :D

scrunchie

Visit site
Good luck with finding a midgey free part!!!!!

Is the WHOLE of Scotland full of nasty bitey things then? And you still insist on wearing kilts???? :confused:

You've done that on purpose to keep the 'foreigners' out, I know ya!! :D *slathers on fly repellant*

Last edited:

lq22

Visit site
Does the house need to have land or is livery ok?

I'm in ayrshire - if you're right on the coast the breeze keeps most of the midges away. Some areas of ayrshire can be quite expensive though depending on what you want. If you let me know what sort of spec you're looking for I can give you a few pointers if you like (pm if you prefer)

Merlin11

Visit site
Fife is not bad for midges and is reasonably priced. Midges are worse up north west scotland I think. Dumfries area is cheapish and probably not bad for midges. Basically the further you are from the main cities the cheaper.

scrunchie

Visit site

I'm in ayrshire - if you're right on the coast the breeze keeps most of the midges away. Some areas of ayrshire can be quite expensive though depending on what you want. If you let me know what sort of spec you're looking for I can give you a few pointers if you like (pm if you prefer)

Ok. Firstly, we'd probably want to rent just to see how we got on. We need at three bedrooms, would prefer 4. School is no problem as I homeschool but the eldest would like to go to college in September.

House have land attached or livery or maybe find a farmer who might rent us a couple of fields. Our horses all live out so they're not fussy.

Would prefer a coastal region. I miss the sea after living inland for 11 years.

Emilieu

Visit site

^^plus you can ride on the beach.

I'm from South Lanarkshire but work in Ayrshire, tentatively thinking of moving me and horse 'sometime' (ie prob never, am a total homebird) But i do eye up livery yards etc in the area and have seen a few i'd really quite fancy.

You might be lucky and find the midges don't bother you - even when camping at lochsides i hardly notice them. Or maybe i have become immune... :)

lq22

Visit site
Agricultural college or college college? What sort of rough budget aswell? and i take it you would want it unfurnished or are you not fussy?

Rightmove here I come! :D

lq22

Visit site
It's liveable but you would want to do work to it.

Dalmellington is fine because you don't need schools. Ayr is near by with main shops etc and trains to glasgow. Beach at Ayr, Prestwick and Troon (my beach!). Ayr college, Klmarnock college, Kilwinning college and Scottish Agricultural College at Ayr all near.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-34294598.html

lq22

Visit site
Hard to find many without knowing a ceiling price and how much work you're happy to do to it. Renting wise you will struggle to get a house with land to rent in ayrshire - don't really have experience of renting in any other parts of the country.

How much land would be ideal?

kirstykate

Visit site

scrunchie

Visit site
£1000ish a month? I've no idea what we can get for that.

4 + acres but like I said we're happy to find fields or livery elsewhere.

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
Aberdeenshire!! We have the mountains and castles and beaches and forests AND if you dont live in a boggy valley there are NO midgies!! I know cos I moved here and I cant stand midges and its completely fine!!

And its very horsey!

whisp&willow

Visit site
agree with lachlanandmarcus! Aberdeenshire has no midges, beautiful countryside and a huge horse scene. i lived there for three years while at uni. i liked how it was extremely rural, but you had the city on your doorstep too! and i NEVER felt a midgey in three years...!

if you are avoiding midgeys, then dont look at anywhere on the north west coast: i live in skye and lochalsh... the most beautiful place on earth... if the sun decides to show its face, but we are PLAGUED by midgeys all summer long. :(

good luck with your move! :D

siobhain

Visit site
I grew up in North Ayrshire and it was amazing for horsey things. 3 big equestrian centres within 30 mins drive, loads of summer shows and Irvine beach park was the best place to go for a gallop!

And comapred to Oxford where I am now, seems like the cheapest place on earth to live!! haha

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
In Aberdeenshire you get this in the summer
P1020212.jpg

and this in the winter. Far better than midgies!!And you can ski!
P1010407.jpg

camilla4

Visit site
I grew up in North Ayrshire and it was amazing for horsey things. 3 big equestrian centres within 30 mins drive, loads of summer shows and Irvine beach park was the best place to go for a gallop!

And comapred to Oxford where I am now, seems like the cheapest place on earth to live!! haha

I lived in North Ayrshire for three years in my (much!) younger days and it is a wonderful area. It didn't have the wonderful facilities that is does now but it was still a very "horsey" area with two good Pony Clubs and a strong equestrian network. I do remember it being reasonably midge-free too!!

Welshie Squisher

Visit site
I'm just outside dundee, it's about 45 a week around my way for stabled livery that includes stable, hay, bedding and turnout mon-fri and use of an arena.
Grass livery is usually 20 a week and you buy your own hay. Some include it but your weekly livery would be higher.

I think it's expensive, because you get nothing fancy for your money. If you go further out, for the same money you can be at Auchlishie which has 3 schools (1 indoor) and a full cross country course :)

Miss L Toe

Visit site
Dumfries and Galloway is unexploited, or the Borders [SE], where you will find the place abounds with horse mad folks, flapping [racing], rugby, and so on.
I would avoid former mining areas like Dalmellington, though there are better areas in the country, just get out a map and go for it, beware of very wet areas, check out rainfall pattern as these very a lot, locally.

scarymare

Visit site
Aberdeenshire!! We have the mountains and castles and beaches and forests AND if you dont live in a boggy valley there are NO midgies!! I know cos I moved here and I cant stand midges and its completely fine!!

And its very horsey!

Seriously horsey.

Every weekend I could go to at least 2 shows within a 40 minute drive.

Couldn't even do that when living in Windsor!:D:D

fredthoroughbred

Visit site
Edinburgh, Edinburgh, Edinburgh!! Amazing hacking, fairly reasonable livery prices, no midges, fairly dry (although I'm a north west Highland girl, so where isn't), very horsey and you still get all the loveliness of the perfect blend of country and city living. Great if you have dogs too : )

asbo

Visit site
we have just left edinburgh to move to east lothian and i love it,horses are on a fab yard with hacking and schools coming out our ears,we live in a lovely cottage thats a 10 min walk from said horses,i look out my lounge window and see cows,my kitchen window and i see horses.
funny enough, people in next cottage home school too.