Scotsburn BE80(T) report

Olivio

www.thekickinghorse.co.uk
Just read Perdy's post about not havin a great time so thought I'd do my report. Sorry no pictures - have a cr@p camera so you need a magnifying class to see him!

Just to put you in the picture this my first event in about 8 years and it was B's 1st event, 1st attempt at dressage, 2nd attempt at SJ and 3rd attempt at x-c. Done loads of practising at home but car trouble twarthed our competition plans!!!

Arrived on Friday and unloaded a very excited little horse. Tacked him up and took him down to the dressage arena for a little school which turned into more of him whizzing round in trot and me trying to keep in vaguely under control. Wasn't much calmer after 20 mins so gave up and took him to the pens where he had a lovely time meeting lots of new friends although both his neighbours didn't appreciate his chat and kept putting their ears back at him!!

Had lovely times 12.30, 2.08 & 2.40 so had a nice chilled out morning. Walked the course for a second time. I didn't think there were any big questions, definetely a step up from Hallyburton (our last x-c) but the biggest thing I thought was the jumping down hills and also all the flags, ropes, etc, etc to take his mind off the job.

Took him down to the dressage warm up, was really brave and stuck to my plan of warming up as little as possible (he's still at the stage where he loses concentration if you do too much and the longer he's schooled the worse he gets!!). Wasn't sure what was happening but someone overnight must have replaced my fairly wild horse with a polished dressage pony. He warmed up beautifully for all of about 6 minutes and the person before me wasn't there so I went in early and he did a lovely test!! He was so soft and calm, did the best canter work he ever has done and I even had time to think 'sit up, shoulders back' etc! Came out and had a little cry (god how sad am I?!).

I thought the SJ course was lovely. Loads of room to get balanced and was far smaller than I'd been doing at home - I get so nervous competing so I tend to try to do everything at home but far bigger so when I go somewhere it seems small!! Was so embarressed but the tack steward failed my stirrup leather (it was little frayed but she gave it a bloody good tug and made it far worse) Que me dashing back to the trailer and getting my sewing kit out (I part trained as a saddler years ago before becoming an accountant, which prob makes the situation even more embarressing!). Anyway, had 2 horse to go when I got back so had 4 jumps and went straight in. The course rode really well. He cleared everything by miles and didn't look at anything - I think he was enjoying having everyone looking at him. They announced my dressage was 31.5 which was 2nd=, plus a clear SJ - Que another cry!!

Major panic getting ready for the x-c, couldn't find my medical card anywhere! Finally found it in a safe place in the front of the car (this is after the car had been emptied onto the grass!) so a quick trot to the x-c, popped a couple of practices fences which he was flying, at then went to the start box all by myself for the very first time. (OH had still been trying to refill the car!). Took it easy to the first fence which he popped, he then spotted the second and was off! We was fantastic all the way round, really locking onto fences and didn't look at anything. Loved fence 6 which was a step up (tiny) 2 strides and a jump off with a pole on top but he flew off it like it was huge. Particularly please with the ditch then up a bank to the log and the double of logs under the trees which were on an ever so slight curve. He really listened and came back when told and finished with loads if petrol in the tank. As he is still inexperienced I did set him up for each fence and trotted down the a steep bit of land that was a bit rutted so ended up clear with 4 time.

What an amazing day! Learn't a few lessons but mainly keep the car tidy! (last time I evented we had a lorry which is so much easier) Anyway, finished 3rd which I was so delighted with. Without the time penalties I would have had the same score as the winner (who finished on her dressage) so it would have come down to collectives (is that right?) but I don't care. I wanted to come home with a happy horse bounding with confidence which i have - a placing is just the icing on the cake!!

We've been waitlisted for the Intro at Oatridge so just have to keep my fingers crossed we get in. Sorry it's so long, got a bit carried away and thanks for reading!!

eishi

Visit site
well done
laugh.gif

what a fantastic first trip out!

kerilli

Visit site
well done, sounds like a brilliant day. i'm well impressed that the tack steward noticed your stirrup leather, that really is eagle-eyed! sound like lovely courses and as if your lad will have really come on from it.

Scarlett

Visit site
well done! Sounds like you both had a fantastic time. Congrats on the 3rd, what a great result with a novice horse, you must be so pleased. Would love to see pro pics if you get links.

Olivio

Thanks everyone! I'm going to be on cloud 9 for weeks. I bought him 6 months ago, he's 7 but had done nothing but hack so he was still a real baby and couldn't canter. Worked him over the winter and he is just a joy to own and loves to learn and jump!! As this is horse No3 for me (other 2 are pretty much field ornaments now) I told my OH that I would school him up over the winter and sell him after a season but I think he's a keeper!

Noodlejaffa

www.ailsamactaggart.co.uk
Ooh fabulous! That's a great result, well done!! You may well get into Oatridge as whenever I've been waitlisted for something I've got in. Hang on in there!

I've a feeling you were stabled either opposite me or nearby. I was the one with the loopy grey who jumped at the slightest sound in his stable.

FigJam

teamhopalong.blogspot.com
Wow, just logged on and this is the first thing I've read on here today- HUGE congratulations to you both!
grin.gif
<--- bet you're still like this!!!

What a great start to B's eventing career, good luck getting into Oatridge, I'm dressage stewarding on the day, so will look out for you. If you don't get in, we always need friends to help...!
wink.gif

Congrats again! Was there a pro 'tog there to link us to for photos?

Olivio

Harry was there giving me stick as usual but I'm not sure if there was another photographer there, if anyone knows they can point me in the right direction. Will post a link if it's any good!! Figjam we have to get you riding at the events soon and your husband can be 'team photographer"!! How did your pick a fence go?

Noodlejaffa - that was me opposite - I was the sad one taking the piccies of my horse in his pen recording the memories of his first party!! How did you get on?

riaseed007 I heard you had missed the jump over the commentry and I was gutted for you. I have to say when there are so many flags on the combinations for several classes you really have to stop & work out which ones relate to you as it is so confusing.

Not sure what I'm doing after Oatridge if I get in. Was thinking Hopeton but I will have to see how the funds are doing - I'd forgotten just how expensive this sport is!

I would just like to say though that I met so many lovely people at the event, the whole thing was beautifully presented and organised, it was just a pleasure to be there and well worth the 4 hour hike!

FigJam

teamhopalong.blogspot.com
Ha ha... his rates are very reasonable compared to the official shots at events I've been to...!
wink.gif
Maybe see ya at Strathallan/Scone!

Pick a fence was fab today, have just posted up mammoth report, got a bit carried away blethering, think the adrenaline is still going!
blush.gif