Scouring again!

coss

Visit site
Horse i work with has been scouring most of the winter - had vet discussions too.
The one thing that worked was bran... A small amount added to her feed once a day and she was just improving - really dried her up and her poohs were normal. Then in the past two days, nothing has changed and she's back to scouring :confused:

Have tried pre/probiotics - no improvement
Seaweed - has improved her hooves
Soaking hay - no improvement
Removed speedibeet - this was also around the time when bran was introduced, still out of her feed

Can't think what else we've tried:rolleyes:

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Have you tried brewers yeast, it is an excellent digestive aid and if so, how long did you give it to work before changing to something else as everything takes time to get through the system? You could also try natural yoghurt.
Another thing is is she on hay or haylage as haylage can be too rich sometimes; that was the cause of the squits with a mare I had, put her onto meadow hay and it virtually stopped overnight. Also make sure worming is up to date and her teeth have been done; everything and anything can make a huge difference.

rachi0

Visit site
some products that are good are: tuffrock foal plus and biosponge.. also recommend natural yoghurt and lots of it

coss

Visit site
she's on hay - though i think its rich hay, not meadow hay. Haven't tried brewers yeast as that is basically "dead" yeasacc which is in her current feed anyway. Always allow 2-3 weeks for things to be ruled out as ineffective. Worming and teeth up to date.
Vets will be getting a faecal sample on monday.

kirstykate

Visit site
Check out the Protexin website, one of mine has IBS the Quickfix got him sorted he is now on their gut balancer and charcoal with no hassle what so ever:p:p

coss

Visit site
Check out the Protexin website, one of mine has IBS the Quickfix got him sorted he is now on their gut balancer and charcoal with no hassle what so ever:p:p

did the vet recommend it? She's been on a couple of pro/prebiotics - what makes the protexin one different? Genuinely would like to know how protexin is differnt rather than going by brand name if that makes sense (have heard good things of protexin though)

taceann

Visit site
Does she have anything at all that could contain the slightest trace of molasses ? I had this will one of mine, blamed worming her, did not clear up and she only got Happy hoof and speedibeet. I cut out the beet, still scoured, switched to Safe and Sound, still scouring. Tried psyllium, tried protexin, nothing worked. This went on for about 2 months.

Eventually I put her on Top Spec top chop lite which is unmolassed. Result ? No scouring.

coss

Visit site
she has some happy hoof in her feed however she was on an unmollassed diet previously - ie, alfa a and senior support (rowen barbarry)