Scouring causes

Limbo1

Visit site
Hi haven't been on here for quite a while but having a problem that has me stumped.
My 15 yr old 16hh mare has been scouring badly on and off for the last few weeks. When I say bad I mean it goes from cow pat to farts and liquid. Then a period of normal poos for a few days/week then back. She also sometimes seems to be tucked up and uncomfortable.
Diet not changed other than grass getting scares. She lives out, with some hay, small amount of chaff and veteran mix.
Any ideas??

be positive

Visit site
It could be many things but the first to consider would be worms, even if worming is up to date there may be resistance issues, then ulcers, hindgut issues which take various forms, something toxic she is able to eat, lack of fibre if there is not much grass and she is not getting ad lib hay.
As it has been going on for a while even if it comes and goes it is time for the vet to be called so you can start to rule out the causes and get a plan of action in place before it really impacts on her condition, you could try some of the many supplements available but it could take months to sort out and the potential damage may be far worse by then if they dont work, a visit from the vet, a check over, a worm count and blood test would be the best option.

Melody Grey

Visit site
Have you pramoxed recently? Failing that, gut imbalance, ulcers, worm infestation, eating something disagreeable in the field if your grass is running out?

Putting more hay out if you aren't already might be a positive step?
How sugary is veteran mix? Could be causing hundgut acidosis or irritation if there is grain in it?

If your worming is up to date, I'd try Protexin/ pink mash and get rid of all sugars, feed more hay and the new see where you're at.

Is the horse warm enough? Sorry....a rather random list for you there!

tankgirl1

Visit site
My mare was like this a few weeks ago. I upped her hay intake and started her on protexin powder which worked a treat. I spoke to the vet and his thought was that it was because she had a tapeworm burden (moderate to high on saliva test)

ETA - I gave her pramox on his suggestion which seems to have worked but really knocked the stuffing out of her

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
Could be lots of things.
Worms - get a test and/or worm for everything. I'd avoid Pramox and maybe do Equest then double Strongid to cover everything.
Hormones - at this time of year mares often have a last season, but not a proper one. It can go on for a while, and they can get diarrhoea from the hormones.
Allergy - your mare might be allergic to something in her diet.
Infection - given you've said she's not looking happy, perhaps get a vet?
Lack of gut bacteria - either give her probiotics or let her eat the poo of a healthy (wormed!) horse.
Ulcers - have you had her scoped?

If she were mine, I'd feed her good quality ad lib hay, make sure the water trough/bucket is cleaned out, and maybe feed her a simple dried grass chaff, with vits/mins (Equivite is usually palatable) and probiotics. I'd also get her worm tested, and have her checked by a vet.

windand rain

Visit site
Old boy livery does this as soon as I give hay every day so always connected it with the hay. He is much better on pink mash and psyllium so thought it might be our sandy soil irritating his gut, He has just started again so started today on psyllium. Hope it works as we nearly lost him last year but at 28 that is always a possibility
might have to try hay replacement for him but not sure which as he is in the field with a laminitic and the foal
all were wormed in the last 3 weeks for tape and other worms will use equest after Christmas