Scout update (also in NL)

NR99

Well-Known Member
Joined
30 November 2008
Messages
3,318
Location
Down South
Visit site
Hi All

You all asked for an update following our problems getting Bone Scan authorised by insurance without a diagnosis from vets and vets saying can not diagnose without a bone scan and me saying ok I'll pay for myself for now, well here goes: -

Had his Bone scan yesterday and it did not show problems in SI/back as suspected. He has had some nerve blocks in hinds this morning just waiting for the results but vets suspect Bilateral Proximal Hind Limb desmitis (excuse spelling all this was taken down over the phone). Result is rest for 12 weeks before reviewing then walking in hand, may at a later date require a Plantar nurectomy.

Does anyone have any experience of this?

Still waiting to see if the insurance will authorise, so no news there yet.

confused.gif


xx
 

Marchtime

Well-Known Member
Joined
5 December 2007
Messages
1,398
Visit site
If I'm not mistaken that's PSD. Jesper was diagnosed with this following a similar history to yours. He lost performance but was never truly lame. He ended up having a bone scan as the problem was thought to be his back but all came back fine. Blocked sound to suspensory nerve blocks.
We never truly discussed neurectomy as he came sound following three months rest and shock wave treatment. He was sound for four years following treatment (aged 5-9yrs) but this year has been retired. He injured his front collateral ligaments which put excessive strain on the previously injured hind suspensories and as a result they're not coping. He also now has sacroilliac problems and so has retired.
Generally though PSD can have a good outcome. We opted not to jump as he showed more promise as a dressage horse and easily competed up to Elementary BD before his front feet problems occurred.
As a side note in future you might want to consider regular physio as PSD can cause sacroilliac injuries from compensation.
 

NR99

Well-Known Member
Joined
30 November 2008
Messages
3,318
Location
Down South
Visit site
Thank you for replying really useful. Yes vet's report has since come in and it says suspected PSD. Now they want to scan front as well as back and see if they need to operate. My concern is if they do not operate whether this will get worse again, he had become practically unrideable when he had one of his turns. At least I now have it confirmed what it is so as soon as there is a sign of any pain I can act on it, my concern is with box rest will he be well enough for me to risk putting my 14yo on him again. Sadly he was also bought as an eventer so I would guess we will rule this out now and his dressage is not likely to take him that far through the ranks?

Thank you for the advise re the Physio we will take this up with our physio.

Thanks again
smile.gif
 
Top