Scubby pony....which method given the weather

EmmasMummy

Visit site
So pony still has lots of scubby bits. I've started using Stinky stuff but there are still patches. I am pretty sure that he had not been touched for weeks if not a few months before I bought him :(.

He was unrugged until Dec and so has a winter coat.

What would you smart bunch advise as to sorting out these dry scubby bits? They are not bloody/raw underneath if you pick one off. Just obvs hasnt been groomed v well, and with his coat the brushes cant get down to them.

1) leave till spring and jsut hope you can brush them out
2) Wash (stinky stuff shampoo)
3) clip
4) use a nit comb to get the scabs off and apply stinky stuff.

skewbaldmillie

Visit site
If they are not bleeding or painful I would spread the hair apart rub with a grooming block until comes off of the skin then use a nit comb to remove the pieces from the hair. (I am really ocd when it comes to ponies skin even dandruff on a horses dock and I get a nit comb out

EmmasMummy

Visit site
If they are not bleeding or painful I would spread the hair apart rub with a grooming block until comes off of the skin then use a nit comb to remove the pieces from the hair. (I am really ocd when it comes to ponies skin even dandruff on a horses dock and I get a nit comb out

This is what I was doing the other night...I may just continue doing that. Its just quite hard to get to some of them as they are in behind his elbow. My sister said I need a rake?

Equi

Visit site
Personally i would be clipping the areas. Might look a bit silly, but you will allow them to heal by getting the air at them.

Orca

Visit site
I would clip and air too. Sometimes air is all it takes but if there is a lengthy build up of scurf and irritants (sweat, bites, scabs, etc), it can be far more easy to wash, dry and treat if necessary, without a coat in the way.

EmmasMummy

Visit site
Personally i would be clipping the areas. Might look a bit silly, but you will allow them to heal by getting the air at them.

Almost all the areas of concern will be exposed by a blanket clip, barr a few on his back. So I think that will be the way to go!

Rainscald?

Try nizerol, for dandruff, pop on don't rinse too much then leave on neat

I did wonder but no, its not widespread enough. Its just the odd cluster.

The stinky stuff does seem to be helping.

EmmasMummy

Visit site
Not 100% sure i'm afraid. If you have the facilities to (i.e a stable to dry off in) i'd be tempted to give him a good scrub with an anti-bacterial/similar shampoo to see if that helps before trying clipping.

There is and I have fleeces and rugs and towels --- also a hair dryer - to dry off with. But the issue may not be with pony now, more the yard and ice. If I wash it wll make exit and entry into the stables super icy because of where it will run down.

I dont think it needs to be a close clip tbh, even if its left at 2cm long thats better.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Is he actually uncomfortable with it? To be honest if it is not enough to close clip him, I would just continue to groom him and gradually it will come out especially with Spring only a couple of months away. Will add, that I am not sure exactly what 'scubby' means - scabby? x

EmmasMummy

Visit site
Is he actually uncomfortable with it? To be honest if it is not enough to close clip him, I would just continue to groom him and gradually it will come out especially with Spring only a couple of months away. Will add, that I am not sure exactly what 'scubby' means - scabby? x

He is itchy, even after a good groom and tried to roll the other day when DD was on him. I think the mud isn't helping as he couldn't roll as it was a quagmire. Now its frosty.

I am going to see how much I can get off then see if they are recurring after application of Stinky Stuff.

And yes scubby means scabby and scurfy and ikky. Or just scurfy and ikky - I will say the kids are scubby if they have been in the mud and also not had a bath for a few days.

Tnavas

Visit site
So pony still has lots of scubby bits. I've started using Stinky stuff but there are still patches. I am pretty sure that he had not been touched for weeks if not a few months before I bought him :(.

He was unrugged until Dec and so has a winter coat.

What would you smart bunch advise as to sorting out these dry scubby bits? They are not bloody/raw underneath if you pick one off. Just obvs hasnt been groomed v well, and with his coat the brushes cant get down to them.

1) leave till spring and jsut hope you can brush them out
2) Wash (stinky stuff shampoo)
3) clip
4) use a nit comb to get the scabs off and apply stinky stuff.

Bath him with Nizoral so that any lingering rain scald is killed off - you may also find that many of the scabs will come off with the wash.

I wouldn't be picking any off in case the scabs are still attached. Just bide your time, they will come off.

QueenDee_

Visit site
He is itchy, even after a good groom and tried to roll the other day when DD was on him. I think the mud isn't helping as he couldn't roll as it was a quagmire. Now its frosty.

I am going to see how much I can get off then see if they are recurring after application of Stinky Stuff.

And yes scubby means scabby and scurfy and ikky. Or just scurfy and ikky - I will say the kids are scubby if they have been in the mud and also not had a bath for a few days.

May also be worth addressing what he is being fed- good skin typically comes from the inside out. My boy has been having micronised linseed for the first time this winter and his skin and coat look great as a result.