Scuffing Back Legs

Jay89

Visit site
Hi, my 4 year old cob has on odd movement in his back legs. He doesnt pick them up properly especially his left, he seems to drag them and is quite stiff, he completly wears his shoes don, they become square and he starts to wear his hoof down at first we put it down to lazinesses, we then had someone out to look at him, he said dat it was his stifles and to just walk him for 2 weeks and then start trotting him gently. Anyway we are now back into our normal work and he is still scuffing and wearing away his hoof..has anyone else had this problem or any ideas what it could be?

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
For a start roll toe shoes will help stop the feet wearing at the toe.
He could be doing it because of a number of reasons, but stifles wouldnt be my first thought. He could just be lazy, it could be his back, it could be his hocks. As a 4yo I would think he just hasnt learnt to use himself properly yet.
Have a good look at him on the lunge see if he does it less/more for a change of rein. See if he is better uphill or downhill. Push him backwards and see if he can do it straight. I cant describe what you should see, but looking at horses like this makes things a lot clearer to the eye.
More schooling and with better fitness he should improve, maybe lunging in a pessoa jobby. If he doesnt improve then ask the vet for his opinion, maybe a short cause of bute to see if he still does it when he definetly isnt in pain.
Of course this should all be coupled with regular physio from someone you trust, my youngsters get done every 2 weeks.

maddielove

Visit site
sounds like he could use with a pessoa type aid. i guess cause he's young he would need some help to carry himself properly. hope things work out for you xx

Jay89

Visit site
thanks for the advice, was lungeing him today and noticing him still doing it then, i deffo dnt think its laziness as he isnt a lazy horse he loves his work!! I think the bute idea could b worth a shot, he has always had funny movement in his back legs guess we didnt realise it properly until he was bein worked. Thanks again.

kateknights

Visit site
Hi my horse used to brush her back hooves together until i had the farrier and explained what she was doing to him, now he has taken her in on the inside (his words), she seems to have stopped, so next time your farrier comes tell him and he may be able to help. In the meantime to protect his hooves stick some over reach boots on them, it worked for me.
Good luck
Kate x.

Parkranger

Visit site
Ty used to virtually cross over on the back! As he's getting fitter it's getting better and our farrier is great - he's put on heels and also filed down his hooves more on the outside (I think) to make him tread down on the outside more.

Unfortunately it means that I'll probably never be able to ride him without back brushing boots but hey, it's not the end of the world!

So in my opinion, fitness and a good farrier should help.....

lizzieuk1

Visit site
i used to ride a lovely hunter who had the same thing, he wasn't lazy and it never seemed to affect his hunting, in fact he was thought of as one of the best in the field so i wouldn't worry too much, just make sure his back and pelvis are checked and then you can move on without too much worry.