Scurfy elbows?

siennamiller

Visit site
So, I have got my new boy on loan, he's absolutely lovely, really sweet natured and uncomplicated. We went out and were 3rd in the .80 at Pyecombe at first show, got time faults in .90 at felbridge last weekend, but I am still getting used to him, only had him 16 days!
But, my question is, he has very scabby elbows, and it is quite sore, any thoughts on how to get rid of it. I make sure I wash that area thoroughly after work, and he is bedded on rubber mats and shavings. He came like that, but it is not getting any better.

FP3_4918.jpg
[/URL]

SuperH

Visit site
My black mare has this, I use savlon antiseptic cream (or similar) every few days. She still has tiny patches without hair on (I think she bites it out scratching) but they are no longer sore. I try not to get the area wet either, she often gets mud there and I pick it off by hand so it doesn't rub further.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Have you any hypocare???

Failing that, we got an antibiotic cream frmo our vet. Oh for someone to start making Dermobion again :(

Fiona

They did still make it, it is now Ilium Dermapred, but not in the UK :-(

As for scurfy patches, I have found that Malaseb shampoo will clear all manner of ills in the skin.

Last edited:

Jericho

Visit site
I have a thin skinned warmblood and he has it - I think it just is a result of lying on hard surfaces - in his case he has lived out during the summer so hard ground. I Alison noticed that his hind hooves do hit his elbows. I tend to rub baby oil in and when in during winter nights make sure he is on a deep littered bed with clean top layer.

Jo1987

Visit site
My old boy has this, hard flaky patches on his elbows. I use aqueous cream which stops them from cracking but I haven't been able to clear it up completely despite a few different suggestions from vet.
I think in his case it was ignored for so long (he was 16 when I got him and had not been cared for particularly well!) that the skin has hardened and can't recover.