Scythian Warrior exhibition at British Museum - horselovers!

Suechoccy

Visit site
If human-horse history fascinates you, then please visit the Scythian Warrior exhibition (£16 a ticket) at the British Museum, on until mid-January.

The Scythians lived 2500 years ago. In the 20th century, some of their burial tombs at Pazryck in the Altai Mountains (Siberia/Mongolia border), encased in ice and frozen, were found and excavated. The frozen water in the tombs ensured that all the vegetable fibre ropes, halters, textiles of saddlecloths, human clothing, boots, etc survived, so too the tattooed skin on the humans.

It is a wonderful exhibition. See a Pazryck saddle, two leather pads, joined by two birch hoops, beautifully decorated with carved creatures out of wood, sat on a felt pad, with an ornate embroidered felt seat cover. No stirrups, a Western style cinch.

Riding horses were geldings, barefoot, manes shorn, tails part-shorn.

Bridles of leather, ornately decorated in gold, carved wood, embroidery, with jointed snaffles made of bronze, some with cheekpieces fashioned into mythical creatures.

Breastplates, cruppers, mane covers, tailbags....

Then the human jewellery and clothing, absolutely exquisite, tiny tiny stitches made with sinew for thread, amazing intricate artwork in the gold decorative badges, pins, brooches, buttons.

A photo of the world's oldest carpet (4m x 4m) discovered in the tomb, too fragile to transport to the British Museum from its usual resting home of the Hermitage Museum in St Petersburg, Russia.

A woman's shoe, with a jewelled sole, designed to be worn inside the ger/yurt, where people sat cross-legged on the floor, soles of their feet on display.

Felt stockings, with appliquéd designs of felt creatures and embroidery.

A-MAZING!

rabatsa

Far from the madding crowd
Visit site
Just occaisionaly I see/hear about something that makes me think a trip to London could be a good idea. This sound like one of those things.

Jill's Gym Karma

Visit site
I agree it's very good- I would suggest pre-booking tickets as it's very popular (I get in free as a member). Lots of ornate jewellery depicting various animals mauling other animals! The only thing I thought it lacked was a bit more on the type of horses they would have ridden (ancestors of modern Caspian/Mongolian ponies?).