Search for A Star - Riding club show horse help!!

MuffettMischief

Visit site
Hi All,

I'm looking for some advice from anyone who may have shown/been to SFAS And seen these classes. I have a lovely little mare that is stuck in between categories and I am too old to do anything county level on her! She does extremely well at local/riding club level and has won and been placed in championships at NPS and BSPS, also placed in every class at Equifest last year.

She is just within height limits at 148.6cm but rides/looks more 15hh. Do 'littlies' tend to do well in these classes? I'm going to enter Stretcholt in June.

Any advise welcome, I am a forum newbie!!

dollface

Visit site
I'm no showing expert by any means but did qualify for HOYS in RC Search for a Star in 2010. If your horse goes well then enter it as we were all very different at the finals. Make sure she is happy to do trot poles as loads of horse failed at this in the qualifying round I was in. My horse went beautifully for me and the jump and has a good pop in him but lost the plot at HOYS as the atmosphere totally got to him.
interestingly it was commented that the judges really liked the fact that the winner was in a snaffle as I presumed that a double bridle was needed and ensured that my horse was happy to go in one.
Good luck!

MuffettMischief

Visit site
Thanks dollface. She coped extremely well at Equifest in an evening performance. I thought she would explode but she just about held her cool! I don't think we will qualify but I would like to think she might be ok if we did albeit a little tense!

She has a hell of a jump in her and is fine with trot poles, we do polework every week. The only thing that concerns me is she can be a little......fizzy although nicely schooled and happy to go well in a snaffle. I've been working hard the last few weeks to get different men riding her to different results, she doesn't do anything naughty just super tense if they hold her up tight!! She has been ridden by two ride judges before, one lady who rode her beautifully and one male who was horrific and nearly removed her back teeth...so I don't think she feels that confident. That is the only thing that concerns me. David Bartram is the ride judge for this one

emm1s

Visit site
Definitely give it a go - she may look a little small but if she goes well it shouldn't matter. I went to HOYS in 2014 and in my experience it is very much about how the horse performs. You need a nice looking, well schooled horse that behaves impeccably, jumps smoothly out of its stride and gives a very good ride - but it doesn't have to be a 'show' horse by any means.

Visit site
I stewarded for David Bartram last year and make sure you have stirrup leathers that can go shorter. He isn't the tallest but he does ride long. Actually to be fair he rides more of a woman's length so as long as you have a bit of give each way you will be fine.

He is a lovely, quiet, lightweight rider who is incredibly soft with his hands. Very patient and very witty! You will enjoy having him judge you.

L&M

Visit site
I watched this exact class last year at Hoys and there was a huge mix of horses, from a huge warmblood to a couple of 'pony' types.

As others have said, the judges are looking for way of going and temperament, if anything over looks. If I remember correctly a very nice grey won - it wasn't the 'showiest' in the class, but jumped foot perfect, was beautifully schooled and gave Katie Jerram a lovely ride, and well mannered.

The only thing I would say was that the 'fizzier' types didn't get a look in....good luck if you do go for it xx