Seasonal rises with Cushings?

Montyforever

Visit site
My mare is on 1/2 a prascend tablet a day. Was tested just over 6 months ago and levels were fine (29.5 i think) had no problems, been absolutely fine in herself. Looks well, nice weight, she's been back to being a total nutter over the winter. Hyperactive, full of the joys of spring up until the last week or so.
She's been in work, muscled up and stamina to burn. Never runs out of energy and is generally a bouncy happy soul!
But this week she really looks like she's lacking a bit of energy. Only a slight change, nothing physically wrong. No change in feed etc

I think I'm being OCD, she's such a sensitive mare. Picking up on these little changes usually saves a bigger thing down the line. She had all round bloods done not long ago, to check liver/kidney function and see if anything else popped up but was all healthy and fine. Everything medical wise appears fine, she's just lacking that bit of sparkle.

Just wondered if this is normal for this time of year? Last autumn she was just starting on it so wouldn't have been been obvious if it was a rise or prascend veil! Other possibility is that the introduction of two new mares to the herd has upset her a bit.

I know i am probably worrying over nothing, but i love this little mare to bits. We've had issue after issue and I'll be honest I'm probably just expecting the next hammer to fall .. There is a track record with her :p

southerncomfort

Visit site
Hi, best place to look for info on seasonal rises is The Laminitis Site.

I've actually just increased my pony's Prascend. She was only on half a tab per day but I wasn't happy with her. She failed to shed her coat at all and was getting little skin infections etc. Within a week of upping the dose she began shedding hugely and the infections are clearing up.

Any chance your girl is just feeling super chilled at the moment...? :)

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
I get my cushings mare tested twice a year and she is having bloods taken next week so I know whether to increase tablets.. I would rather pay out for the vet so I am sure what I am dealing with..

Montyforever

Visit site
Very unlikely that she's feeling extra chilled - she's as highly strung as they come! :p

Hadn't thought of the coat change, she's getting towards the end of it now. She's always clung onto her coat so its reasonably early for her this year. No skin infections, or anything remotely wrong physically she looks the picture of health! Weight is slightly increasing month by month (doing the CARE study so record weight regularly) but she's far from overweight.

I guess coat change is probably the most likely then :)

linperrie

Visit site
I think April is a seasonal rise time. My mare goes totally lethargic in September and sometimes in spring which I think is to do with her cushings as that was the only symptom she had before diagnosed. But they do tie in with coat changes too. I get her blood checked twice year with vet and it was vet who said she is on boundary of needing 1 to 1.5 tablets so I leave her on 1 until the lethargy hits twice a year then increase dose by 1/2 tablet for a few weeks until she has perked up. I think it may just be happening now as after spooking at everything she could over last few weeks tonight she wasn't fussed at all! Lethargy alert maybe??

Puddleduck

Visit site
Spring/ early summer and autumn are times when the levels change. It's triggered by the change in daylight as days get longer/ shorter.
Worth getting her tested to check her levels as cushings is a progressive condition so likely her prascend use will increase over time as well as by season.
My mare started on half a tablet about 4 yrs ago and is now on 2, waiting for seasonal blood results to see if she needs it adjusting again.