Sebaceous cyst

coss

Visit site
Found some lumps on my horse's back a couple of days before new year. Had ridden Christmas day with no ill affect and he didn't seem bothered by them when prodded or poked on the 29th but has gradually become more sensitive. Had the vet out and have to give horse danilon for a few days to see if that takes out the inflammation... if not they'll consider a cortisone injection or think of something else??
Anyone have experience with getting these treated?

LadySam

Visit site
The best course of action is removal, so that you get the whole cyst sac out. Otherwise they can come back.

Inflammation and sensitivity would usually indicate a little infection, which isn't unusual with a cyst. Is the vet trying to get rid of the infection before excision? That would be my approach, so either antibiotics if it's bad, or wait-and-see for a few days to see if the infection passes of its own accord.

coss

Visit site
Think the vet is hoping the cyst will disappear just using danilon. Seems reluctant to drain let alone cut the whole cyst sac out

LadySam

Visit site
Fair enough. I wouldn't bother draining either unless it ruptured through the skin of its own accord or was absolutely massive. If it's not too big it probably will go away by itself. I hope it's a one-off but if it becomes a recurring problem in the same spot, excision will be the only thing that stops cysts coming back.

coss

Visit site
this gives an idea of size
15970715_10154885953573535_650978563_n.jpg

LadySam

Visit site
That's about what I figured for size. What a nasty place to have them! Are they still sore? Are they getting any bigger? What does your horse do when you press them now?

coss

Visit site
Sometimes they seems sore, sometimes not. Pressing down on them doesn't usually get reaction, pushing from the side gets some reaction. No change in size. Not sure if the reaction is him telling me not to poke it with a needle or whether it's a pain reaction. He'd pretty polite - when the vet stuck a needle in (to see if it would drain? to test what was in it? - didn't get anything out) horse just kept turning head round several times and when needle wasn't removed did a small buck to get us away. Now I get a head up and ear flicked back at most

LadySam

Visit site
Ok, so it's been a few days now since the vet. The inflammation is probably subsiding now; that's a totally normal timeline. Still a little sore but not what it was. You'll probably be able to put a saddle on again in another 2-3 days.

The way these things go away by themselves tend to be when they burst. This can be through the skin or completely internal. The muck inside is mostly globby keratin, sometimes with some pus and blood. If nothing came out when the vet lanced it, you've probably got just keratin, which is about the consistency of bread dough. When it bursts under the skin, the body just deals with it and metabolises it.

Keep an eye on it and gently palpate it once or twice a day. A little press from the sides, a little squish from the top. It should continue to get less sore and little squeezes now and then will encourage the sac wall to break so the cyst can go away.

coss

Visit site
Thank you for your help - was pressing/prodding and doing all that this morning with the odd ear twitch "what are you doing?". Vet didn't lance -just used a sheep needle. he did say the stuff inside would be very thick. Concern is that putting a saddle on causes it to get inflammation - did ride a couple of times prior to the vet coming out but couldn't be sure if he was sore or fresh from having days off.

TheHairyOne

Visit site
For the short term cheap foam pad...and cut out a hole where the cyst is? Should prevent the saddle sitting on it and causing issues...was the advice given by a saddler to my sister whos horse had one of these. Was gone fairly quickly with no intervention, but never got infected and was smaller than yours.

coss

Visit site
Just incase anyone else searches "sebaceous cyst" - ended up having the lumps surgically removed leaving a wound about 4 inches long. One of the stitches made the area a bit inflamed but only know that in hindsight - had to be sedated to remove the stitches and one got missed... found it 11 weeks after surgery, another sedation and anaesthetic gel to numb it so that it could be removed safely. Horse is now back being ridden.
Vet unsure if they were cysts or fibroids or granuoli