Sec Bs, how tough and hardy are they?

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Have just bought a 15 yr old Sec b for my grand daughter to learn on. I have a large breed native myself who although he can be a bit of a prima donna is actually pretty tough. I have never owned a Sec b before and he is a lovely little chap, but to me he looks like a mini TB rather than a tough old native pony!! Should I treat him like a native or a TB with regard to rugging etc. He is unclipped but the hair is driving me crackers so the plan will be to clip him next winter, a chaser style I would think, but for now as an unclipped (and doing no work until we all get let out) how should I treat him. He has his own paddock next to my pony and its pretty bare still so he is getting 2 small feeds of chop a day and about 4 kgs of hay a day, he weighs 300kg on the tape and hasnt changed since we bought him at the end of Feb. Once the grass starts to shoot they will both have the morning inside and be out the rest of the time, for now they are both out 24/7. Just after a few experiences on this breed please

be positive

Visit site
They are generally tougher than they look, most will gain weight rather too easily, there will be a few exceptions, the retired one here has wintered better this year living out 24/7 with no rug, no hard feed just hay, than the previous winters where he was in at night, rugged and fed, he was in light work until last autumn but not enough to have any real bearing on his condition over the previous winters, usually in March he was looking rather ropey but this year he looked fab and will soon be back into a more restricted paddock.

I don't think I have had any poor doers, a few like this one run up a bit lighter in winter but most were very good converters of grass in summer with most requiring seriously restricting.

WelshD

Visit site
My friend had one for her children who looked like a mini tb, but if he was treated like one he behaved like one. Treated like a native pony (poor grazing and no rug) he was much better behaved. ?

This is so true, my two (a B and a three quarters B) are out 24/7 since the lockdown and since show preparation ceased and I have to say they’re a lot easier for being out with sod all feed

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Thank you, my other pony is a highland so keeping them as naturally as possible is fine by me, he puts weight on just thinking about grass so if I can treat the little welshie the same it will make life easier. He just looks so delicate compared to the effalump I was a bit worried he might need a bit more faffing, Ill treat him the same for now and see how we go!!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I have ridden and looked after a few and found them good doers and tough, they are a bit like my Arabs really they look fine and quite delicate but deceiving when it comes down to feed and rugs, mine don't need vast amounts of feed and are quite hard in regards to rugs they really don't feel the cold that much.

Dave's Mam

Visit site
This is Camilla, my old loan pony. She was mid twenties in this photo, on a 8k pleasure ride. Tough as boots & as kind as your Gran. Love her so much.

68851318_10157870470824739_705741501296017408_n.jpg

FantaPlease

Visit site
I have a Welsh Sec B mare. She is like a mini TB...if treated and pampered like a diva she will act like a diva...heavily rugged, hard feeds ect...she's 20 and can be a bolshy highly strung pain in the arse. She is Chestnut too haha.
Roughed off on very little grazing, no hard feed just a balancer but in on nights she is now perfect her manners are back and a pleasure to be around. They are very hardy but will fool you into thinking they are not. I wouldn't have any other breed ha ha.

rara007

Visit site
They are thinner skinned than a cob so watch out for rugs. But not many struggle to maintain weight :) We only had 1 purebred that needed feeding and once into haylage rather than hay he was only slim the first winter we had him.

4faults

Visit site
Mine is the wimpiest creature in the world but puts weight on just looking at food so she is constantly clipped hardly ever rugged and fed soaked hay and nothing else. The most diva like chestnut mare you ever met but so lovable

BBP

Visit site
Mine was tough as old boots really, but we got her in her 20s so were a little more precious with her than I would have been if she was younger. Absolutely fantastic pony, great fun hack, learned half pass at 31 and lived to 39 years old. Picture is the old girl in her late 20s. Bit long in the back conformation wise but a really great pony. BE2CB6CB-1397-460A-9148-4111DA9604A0.jpeg2D59493D-1B44-4FEC-AABF-4FF31EF22858.jpeg

Annagain

Visit site
My god-pony (best friend's kids' pony, we joked I was his godmother as I adored him so much) was (is, just in a new home now) a full B but looked like a really pretty dainty show pony. He lived on fresh air, never wore more than 100g rugs even when clipped and had to have his hay rationed even in the coldest of winters. He was muzzled all summer (when the little git would keep it on) and had to be kept fit to avoid putting on too much weight - she would end up riding him at 13hh instead of her 17hh horse to keep him trim!

He's now in a show jumping home, jumping 1.20 and worked hard every day, which was what he needed. He's a bit more pampered and spends a lot more time in but they still have to watch what he eats and he's still muzzled in summer.

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Thank you all, lovely to hear your postive Sec b posts and see some pics. Mine is a dainty looking little chap but I suspect its all a front and hes a tough little nut underneath. Was bought for Grand daughter to learn on and we were just getting started when we were locked down so she cant visit for now. Ive roughed both the boys off to some degree but am handling the little one every day to make sure he is 8 year old proof for when we can start again. Sadly I think I am too heavy to even sit on for a little pottle, Im 10st in my undies, add on tack and stuff and Id be worried he would buckle, opinions?? Looks very like BBPs pretty little pony but much shorter in the back and hes 300kg on the tape

tda

Visit site
My neighbour breeds them, the mares live out all winter in a herd, youngsters too, they get little attention (in a good way) so I'd say very hardy.
A friend has an elderly gelding, ex jumping pony who is very high maintenance, but he'd been kept that way most of his life.

Annagain

Visit site
Thank you all, lovely to hear your postive Sec b posts and see some pics. Mine is a dainty looking little chap but I suspect its all a front and hes a tough little nut underneath. Was bought for Grand daughter to learn on and we were just getting started when we were locked down so she cant visit for now. Ive roughed both the boys off to some degree but am handling the little one every day to make sure he is 8 year old proof for when we can start again. Sadly I think I am too heavy to even sit on for a little pottle, Im 10st in my undies, add on tack and stuff and Id be worried he would buckle, opinions?? Looks very like BBPs pretty little pony but much shorter in the back and hes 300kg on the tape

My friend rode her kids' pony to keep his weight down. She's about your weight and the ponies sound similar. He carried her with no problems. She ended up having to ride him on the beach once as he got super-excited and frightened her son so he rode M (at 17hh, I think he was just 12 at the time!) and she rode the pony. As her son and I walked along the beach (I never thought I'd get Arch to walk in these circumstances but he just seemed to understand!) she let the pony have a bit of a blast to let off steam. He must have gone about 3/4 a mile at flat out gallop - he was just a tiny spot in the distance - before she turned him round to come back to us - she then kept him going back past us as he was showing no signs of stopping. After she turned back towards us a second time he finally starting blowing a bit and they stopped once they came back to us that time but he jogged all the way back to the trailers! So I think you'd be fine on yours!

Orangehorse

Visit site
My friend rode her kids' pony to keep his weight down. She's about your weight and the ponies sound similar. He carried her with no problems. She ended up having to ride him on the beach once as he got super-excited and frightened her son so he rode M (at 17hh, I think he was just 12 at the time!) and she rode the pony. As her son and I walked along the beach (I never thought I'd get Arch to walk in these circumstances but he just seemed to understand!) she let the pony have a bit of a blast to let off steam. He must have gone about 3/4 a mile at flat out gallop - he was just a tiny spot in the distance - before she turned him round to come back to us - she then kept him going back past us as he was showing no signs of stopping. After she turned back towards us a second time he finally starting blowing a bit and they stopped once they came back to us that time but he jogged all the way back to the trailers! So I think you'd be fine on yours!

I honestly think that a well schooled horse is a safer mount for a child than a pony.

Annagain

Visit site
I honestly think that a well schooled horse is a safer mount for a child than a pony.
Monty is a total gent. In the 18 years we've had him, nobody has fallen off him - we've fallen over WITH him a few times (he's a bit clumsy) and a friend got hooked off him by a tree branch and was dangling mid air but nobody's ever come OFF him. Last year aged 23 he took my friend's son (just 13 at the time, very novicey and not the most positive of riders) round several pony club 80cm xc courses. One stop all summer because M could feel him wobbling on top after a drop fence so dribbled to a halt at the second element rather than jumping and popping him off. He's worth his considerable weight in gold.

JJS

Visit site
Mine is a bit of a pansy, TBH! ? That being said, he’s 27 now and has PPID, so I’m sure that’s partially responsible for his princess-pony ways.
However, he really is the best little mount you could ask for, is still sound despite his advancing years, and has taught dozens of children to ride, many of them now grown up but still life-long members of his fan club. We call him Saint Sixpence for a reason, and if I could clone him, believe me I would.

Carrottom

Visit site
Could that be because people bother with giving a horse some decent schooling but don't bother with the pony because its only for the kids?
I think it's more likely that the cheeky ponies take advantage of their little riders. My friend is very light so can ride her children's ponies, they behave beautifully for her but know that the little ones don't have the same skills and maybe not as much determination.

Annagain

Visit site
Could that be because people bother with giving a horse some decent schooling but don't bother with the pony because its only for the kids?
In the case of the two mentioned above it's because the horse is an absolute saint. The pony is lovely and was fine 95% of the time but had moments where he'd get a bit excited. He's now with a much more confident child and is flying - literally. In about 6 months, he went from a pony club pony doing 70cm and stopping at fillers because his rider was very novicey and not the most positive to a fully fledged BS pony jumping 1.20 and winning everything in sight. He has his next 4 kids lined up waiting for him (3 loans before he goes back to his current home for their younger child) so his whole future is secure.