Second clip questions

tatty_v

Visit site
Clipped my boy on 10th October, his usual blanket clip.

Normally I try and get away with not re-clipping at all as he used to be very tricky to clip, but things have improved markedly and so I am considering it! Last few days we’ve had a sweaty girth patch after riding again so I am contemplating it in the next couple of weeks.

Is re-clipping after a month fairly standard and is it harder to avoid tramlines the second time round as the hair’s shorter? Also, the blades I used last time left 2.5mm of hair (Lister mediums), again in an effort to avoid tramlines. Should I go for the same length this time or the fine ones (1.5mm)?C5FC9E0B-52D3-4FC7-9212-B9CF46CF9CA8.jpeg

Pic of him sporting his fresh clip (including fetching mane bunches!)

albeg

Visit site
I'm currently getting 4 weeks out of a clip with fine blades. Could probably do it after 3 but I'm holding out as long as possible. I had fewer tramlines on the second clip.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I find the first clip always grows back really quick, I find fine blades trickier to clip with there not as forgiving as medium blades, tram lines are reduced if you clip the worst areas in multiple directions as you catch most of the hair that way, I always find grey horses much more difficult to clip must be something to do with the hair or maybe it's just me!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I find the first clip always grows back really quick, I find fine blades trickier to clip with there not as forgiving as medium blades, tram lines are reduced if you clip the worst areas in multiple directions as you catch most of the hair that way, I always find grey horses much more difficult to clip must be something to do with the hair or maybe it's just me!

agree with all of this!

Upthecreek

Visit site
Up until Christmas I expect to clip every 3-4 weeks. Always use fine blades and find that clipping before the hair gets too long is both easier and reduces tramlines.

Leo Walker

Visit site
I really needed to do mine after 2 weeks this time. I'm putting it off as shes not doing any fast work at the minute and I really have to send my blades off for sharpening. Shes got about an inch of fuzz all over, and we are only on the 3 week point!

Visit site
I do the racehorses every 2 weeks with fine blades but we strip them every time they run. It's usually about Christmas time I stop clipping so obsessively!

Carrottom

Visit site
I have one who would have his second clip after two weeks if hunting. When we bought him the trainer comented to make sure we had the blades sharpened before the start of the season. 🙂