Second hand jumping saddles?

helenandshadow

Visit site
I currently have a GP which I've had for about 5 years and it's not great for jumping in, my legs are getting too long and I can't get my stirrups short enough without my knees going over the knee rolls! I've decided to look for a second hand jumping saddle, it will only be used for SJ/XC/possibly hacking as I'm keeping the GP.

I have maximum £500 to spend, what am I likely to get for that price? Any recommendations? Would be getting a saddler out so obviously it depends very much on what saddles they have and what fits, or we might take her up to Frogpool - has anyone else used them and do they usually have many second hand saddles?

Thanks.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
For £500 you should be able to pick up a nice jumping saddle. I bought a Bates Close Contact jumping saddle, had only been tried on a horse, never used & I bought it complete with Bates leathers & a pair of Irons for £500.........at the time they were around £700 to buy + around "£50 for leathers. There's loads of saddles out there & £500 is a good budget for a used saddle. Good Luck in your hunt.
smile.gif

lucemoose

Visit site
Frogpool would be a great idea, least you can try before you buy and get an idea of what suits you two. Assume you can get quite alot for your money with £500, Frogpool have alot of pessoas, whitakers, albions and ..hmm mind gone blank but there were looooads of nice ones. Dont have any reccomendations tho, its what suits really!
(though id loooove a whitaker saddle..so soft!)

mitchellk

Visit site
Just got a jaguar sj saddle on ebay for £350- they retail at £1300!
Only thing is my horse has only just started pole work so may be heading straight back onto ebay!!

helenandshadow

Visit site
Thanks everyone. I will have a look on ebay, just a bit wary of buying a saddle without trying it in case I don't like it or it doesn't fit. I know someone who has a pessoa they are selling so I might try that, if not I might be off to Frogpool!
laugh.gif

SpruceRI

Visit site
I bought a new synthetic saddle from Frogpool because they don't bring out and fit 2nd hand leather ones. If you want 2nd hand you have to take your horse to Frogpool.

The synthetic I bought didn't fit me either. (Bit hard to tell when it was stiff, brand new and I didn't have anywhere decent to try it .... so not Frogpool's fault I hasten to add)
Wasn't forward cut enough and was too deep in the seat so when my horse did a long one, it used to hit me up the butt and throw me up her neck.

I bought a lovely 2nd hand close contact saddle from Saddleworld (Maidstone) which fitted us both better. They came out and fitted it and made alterations too. Unfortunately neddy now sold so saddle going on eBay!

helenandshadow

Visit site
Thanks for your reply.
smile.gif
I definitely want second hand because I can't afford new, I was thinking of taking her up to Frogpool as it's not too far. I've just googled Saddleworld and I might try them too.