Second hand saddle damaged wwyd

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Feel like crying right now! Had the most rubbish horse time recently, am skint and to top it off this morning I get a message asking for money back on a saddle I sold
So back in the beginning of March I had to sell some stuff to pay vets bills.
One of those things was a saddle. I advertised and photographed it on facebook and sold it fairly quickly. Had to drive and meet the buyer but figured worth the hassle for a quick sale.
They had a brief look and I said if it didn't fit or whatever I'd give her money back.
I kept the cash for a week or so and didn't hear anything so paid it off my vet bill.
Today I get the message that her saddler said it's got a distorted tree that happened before she got it and so wants a refund or for me to pay to get it repaired.
Seriously I've had to borrow money to pay my farrier this week, I don't have it to give back.
I'm also inclined to think it's a long time to have had it and then decide it's broken.
IF it's old damage I honestly didn't know and it must have been sold to me that way years ago.
What do I do?

Shay

Visit site
If it was a private sale for cash then there is nothing the buyer can do. There are a range of buyer protections in things like ebay or paypal, or in paying for something by credit card. But a good old fashioned private seller to private buyer has no protections. She saw the saddle before she paid for it. She accepted it as seen. That's it. You may have offered her the option of a refund if it didn't fit - but that is not binding in law. Simply decline.

Palindrome

Visit site
You sold in good faith and buyer was able to see the saddle before buying. After nearly 2 months, I think it is now too late for them to return it.

SusieT

Visit site
You sold in good faith - buyer can jog on - they should have checked it before handing over cash or fairly soon. Not your problem. Reply that it was sold as seen and after this length of time you can't guarantee it didn't happen in her care .

tiga71

Visit site
Tell her that she has had it too long and anything might have happened to the saddle. No refund and no money coming from you. Put it in writing and maybe send it recorded delivery.

Then don't worry about it. She doesn't have a leg to stand on.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Anything could have happened to it between when you sold it and now, it was ages ago!
She had a chance to inspect the goods on purchase and was happy with them, maybe if she had contacted you within a week to say saddler said was no good (but even then maybe not). Tell her to jog on.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
She's had it far too long to ask for money back now. She saw the saddle, purchased it and has only just had it checked over?! Too late and tough luck imo.

Last edited:

eggs

Visit site
I know of a female saddler who seems to always say that the tree is twisted on a saddle that she did not sell to you. Could be the same person??

Your buyer has had the saddle for long enough and I think you need to stand firm and not offer any refund.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Eggs possibly. I know of a less than reputable female saddler also who would more than likely cover the buyers area (as in I met them not far from her old premises)
I feel bad but seriously can't find the cash to give back even if I'd wanted to.
I think I need to step away from anything remotely equine orientated for a few years ;)

budatiger

Visit site
Interested to know what make of saddle. I had a similar experience, but payment by PayPal. Buyer came back 10 days later to say her saddler said its not as described and distorted/tampered/incorrectly adjusted tree. I went back with serial number which maker (hand made) confirmed size etc. The irony is that the makers had last stripped & reflocked said saddle at their workshop & confirmed it was as I described it. I had to refund as they opened a dispute & PP always side with buyer. Was livid. Reckon the person prob does the same very often. No shame.

WelshD

Visit site
I know of a female saddler who seems to always say that the tree is twisted on a saddle that she did not sell to you. Could be the same person??

Your buyer has had the saddle for long enough and I think you need to stand firm and not offer any refund.

This happened to me, snobby saddler turned his nose up at my old secondhand saddle and told my buyer that the tree was broken

Unfortunately for him I knew him well and called the buyers bluff and told them to contact their solicitor, I never heard anything more

In your case they have had the saddle too long to start quibbling now

alainax

Visit site
Private sale, sold as seen. Been in the hands of the buyer way too long to have a case even if you had mis advertised it. Tell her sorry you will not be refunding or repairing her saddle, then block.

Pebble101

Visit site
My friend had one of the saddles with a changeable gullet. She was going to sell it and lent it to someone to try - it didn't fit their horse and needed adjusting so the saddler tried to adjust it and found it had a broken tree. Friend is mortified as she had been using it on her old horse and has no idea how it happened. You couldn't tell by looking at it (neither could the saddler!).

OP - I agree with the others though, 2 months is way too long. I might have considered it within the first week.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
So I hadn't replied yet to the buyers request due to being busy. Builders in ripping out the bathroom, I have awful toothache and my poor dog has been rushed into the vets and had to stay in very ill- bit stressed!
I get another message stating her saddler had said the saddle doesn't fit and I said I'd give the money back in this case. This time absolutely no mention of the twisted tree which I find odd? either its broken or wont fit but the story has changed and she caught me at a bad time!
Ive said no. Hopefully politely. I said I kept the money for two weeks which I did but now its too late.