Second time lucky.

mandy4727

Visit site
Probably been done hundreds of times. And thanks Puppy for pointing me in the right direction. I am old enought to know better.
But how much do you pay for your livery and what do you get for this amount.
Ours has just gone up to £17 a week per horse/pony (no difference for size of animal). There have been the usual gripes and moans. But I think for what we get for our money it is quite reasonable. We get
Stable - good size brick built. We do have to paint ourselves if we want to but other maintainence done by YO.
Individual grazing paddocks. We all get 2 x 1 acre paddocks so we can rotate with wooden post and electric rope fencing. We did pay for this ourselves which was a £50 per horse one off payment. And we have to take water up ourselves and muck pick ourslves - these are not moans.
Use of 40 x 30 sand school with flood lights any time we want.
Use of jumping field with proper show jumps.
Electric
Water
YO or someone on the yard will feed, turnout, bring in, hold for farrier or vet, sort out any horse at no extra cost.
Don't have to get shavings, straw or hay from the YO you can get it from where ever you want.
10 minutes from local show.
Loads of lovely hacks.
Knowledgeable people who will help and lend you anything you need.
Worming programme.

For £17 a week. Was £15.

What does everyone think? Obviously people with own yards are much better off but those on livery yards what do you think?

_jetset_

Visit site
Our livery yard is £20 a week and for that we have great summer turnout (just moved onto a new field last week), use of the 40x20 floodlit arena that is currently being resurfaced, water and all power.

Everything is well maintained, never have to think about fencing etc.

YO buys the shavings and haylage in (never run out) and we buy them off her for £4.95 a bale of shavings and 17p a kilo for haylage.

I do the worming programme, so that is covered. We don't have to poo pick the fields or anything like that...

Can't think of anything else...

loopeepee

Visit site
Humm, actually having said that, Ive had a think...

We pay £20 p/w DIY.
We get his box,
indiv turn out (only for a couple of weeks longer and then there will be none whatsoever until March),
water,
he's fed in the morning - but this is a yard agreement that whoever is there 1st feed them all.
Use of sandschool, which is flood lit
Fairly good hacking
Showjumps, and very tiny XC course

However, all hay, food, shavings, poo picking, mucking out, other feeding, holding for vets/farriers and the like is done by us. Also its extra for use of the walker...
Still think thats an awesome deal!

mandy4727

Visit site
I know yours Rebecca!!!. Our haylage is only 10p a kilo.
Shavings are the same and straw is £1.50 a bale. But I know they don't think they have the balance right with that. Wish we had all post and rail fencing like you and the amount of grazing that you have. But I do like the individual paddocks that we have.

mandy4727

Visit site
What do you do with yours in winter then. Our YO is talking about turnout in 1 of our own paddocks and if you trash then it is your fault cos it is your turnout for next summer. But this will only be until the end of the year. I have a yearling with is rather difficult. But until the this year it was in about October time and out in April. I didn't have a yearling then so it wasn't so much of a problem but things change and I do need turnout more often now. Will see what happens.

JadeWisc

Visit site
When I baorded out last year I paid $300 per month
included was 2 feedings per day of top quality feed and hay
turnout and let in each morning/evening
a box stall (cleaned for me each day with all new bedding)
clean farm with an 18 acre pasture
heated tack room
heated indoor arena
and very nice people
was never busy and never had more than 20 horses at a time

_jetset_

Visit site
It's really interesting finding out what other people pay for their livery, it seems to be quite different depending on what area you are in.

Our haylage is quite expensive compared to my previous yard (was also £20) but this one is so much better in other ways that I don't mind paying the extra money. I think everything sort of evens itself out, as one thing is usually more expensive making up for something else being cheaper.

Having said that, the shavings supplier is putting their price up, so obviously the YO also has to do this so they will be a little more expensive soon.

mandy4727

Visit site
We were having this discussion tonight. There is not such thing as the "perfect" yard. There will be something on every yard that doesn't suit you. For whatever reason - not enough grazing, stables too small, don' t like the fencing etc etc. This list goes on. But it all comes down to what is important to you and your horse and what you are prepared to put up with. Some people want an indoor school and wouldn't look for a yard without one. But to others this is not as important. Some want 24/7 turnout some dont. But you can't please all the people all of the time.

loopeepee

Visit site
He has to live in. They all go on the walker for a good hour in the morn, and then another while in the sandschool with a mate. He will then be ridden in the evenings by sister and hunted at the weekend.
Its not ideal, but you makedo with what you've got I suppose!

Ginn

Visit site
At the moment I have a tack room, 2 14x16 stables, a 12x14 barn and about 12 acres all to myself! All with electric and water! There is a sand school (no jumps or lights) literally next door which I can use anytime for free and a floodlit school with jumps a 5 min hack up the road. My YO is fantastic - she keeps all fancing, muck heap etc all in check and is looking to buy another horse (but just having lost her 2 neddies she's not rushing into it). And all for £15/week!
tongue.gif

crackerjack

Visit site
thats fantastic!

I pay £35
for a 12x12 stable, un-painted etc
share a field with 4 other horses ( 24/7 turnout summer/ ( 7 hours out winter)
Use of 1 20x40 school. £1 per hour for folldlights.
Yard will chuck feed in for free but anything else is a charge e.g haynet £1, hold for vet/farrior £5.
Road hacking locally. 1 hour hack to local show.
have to poo pick daily as well!

vanessahook

Visit site
Oh my god!! I cant believe how cheap your yards are up north!!! Im on full livery which cost me £98 a week, no individual turnout, horses dont get feet picked out, have to pay for holding horse for vet/farrier, only basic feed covered (i.e i have to buy my own feed balancer).
I think i better up ship and move north, i could afford another horse!!

CastleMouse

Visit site
I get mine for free!
grin.gif
We keep Cass as a friends house, and we have offered to pay quite a decent amount of money to keep Castle there but they've refused. Castle is the only horse/pony there, but the stables are lovely and there are some nice paddocks and some brilliant hacking around
smile.gif

KatB

Visit site
I get exactly the same as you, but pay £25 a week, and the YM is pants about maintence. Also, we have to do EVERYTHING ourselves, eg feeding in morn and evening, mucking out etc....