Second weekend in August plans.....

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Had a look, can't see a thread, so I will start one.....

We had our monthly clinic with Tom Graham today. I always find it's useful to get different perspectives on how things are going, so long as those different perspectives are not completely at odds with each other. That said we followed on from the theme in our Tuesday lesson with our regular trainer - riding the corners deep and shapes accurately, and keeping Maddie upright on the inside. We also worked on some shoulder-in, incorporating trot-walk-trot transitions and 10 m circles to refresh the shoulder-in. Our canter strike offs were a bit sticky today, which has left me thinking that her saddle may be a little tight in front. That wouldn't surprise me at all as she has packed on the muscle recently and it's been two and a half months since it was last checked, so I have messaged my saddler to book an appointment. We finished up with some 4 looped serpentines, keeping Maddie positively forwards through the changes of direction, and then gave her a good stretch. Maddie has much of the weekend off due to my social engagements - actually going into London tomorrow evening to see Singin' In The Rain at Sadler's Wells, then afternoon tea on Saturday in Woburn which is my husband's counsin's 'hen do'. What I do after the weekend will depend on how quickly I can get the saddler out - thankfully she's usually really good at squeezing us in if there is an issue.

What has everyone else got planned?

236224708_2088830141256002_4558088076723614766_n.png

Last edited:

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
nothing particularly earth shattering here... what a surprise, haha. keep on chipping away at our passage work with Kira, it's getting better each time at the moment which is fairly motivating. I'd decided to somehow find the money for weekly lessons while we're on this uphill trajectory but trainer is away next week so will just be attempting to feel the way ahead by ourselves.

I think there will be Hacking Club at some point which Kira loves SOOOO much :rolleyes:o_O

Forecast looks mostly good so will try and get the lorry in the field again for some loading practice at the nursery, been a few weeks since the last go so will be interesting to see who has remembered the lessons ;)

Need to nudge Frankel onto a new lesson as well, he is ready for learning. They're in an awkward area for groundwork but i may try and find some poles or something to teach him where his feet are.

walkies today

236308691_4594715623873245_5737101470356618803_n.jpg

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
I’ve got my first competition on Pepsi on Sunday! Showjumping at a fairly local venue, 70cm and 80cm. I’m bricking it a little!

I know he can do the height but not sure if he’s competed before/how he will cope with the environment. I’m excited to start getting him out and about though. He was awesome having a little pop over some fillers he’s not seen before tonight, so fingers crossed ??

TheMule

Visit site
My week peaked already as the mule had her first jump yesterday and consolidated it today. Quiet hacking for her and we will repeat another little jump on Tuesday.
Nova and Elana both have a jump lesson on Saturday- new venue for Nova so will be about showing him new fillers etc in a much bigger and busier place.

Enjoy a couple of mule pics!
D8524303-B911-4056-8FCE-864A73D7E4EE.jpeg
B2D522D6-96E5-4308-9E2E-1C4CFDFE88C4.jpeg

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
Not much on the riding point of view, but going racing tomorrow and seeing Rick Astley as he's playing there afterwards. Then on Saturday I am going to the Global Champions Tour in London, managed to wangle a freebie on that one! Sunday is hack day for Stormy, then off on Monday for my Neuromechanics workshop to help my wonkiness!

Asha

Visit site
My Chester zoo ride from last weekend was moved to this weekend so we are off there on Sunday to do 12 miles and see some zoo animals!

My daughters going to this as well . She’s very excited ! What animals do you get to see ?

I’m off to Kelsall on Sunday to do a test riding clinic . Never done one before so looking forward to doing something different

Great photo Nicicb , loving the blue matchy .

Roxylola

Visit site
Maddie is looking fab nicki, loving kiras view there as well - looks lovely.
That mule has scope!
Good luck with Pepsi ikmv.
We are going to try and get round Bold, not get E'd and do it a little quicker than we went round cholmondeley on Saturday
Edit to add, the Sarah Dobell one Asha? She's lovely, she used to examine for us when I worked at the riding school - a bit "proper" at first but she's actually very nice

Nicnac

Visit site
Hiya. After a few quiet weeks settling in new horse, it's hack in the park on Saturday and SJ clinic on Sunday. We should have a good group as it's me on my boy and daughter and 2 friends on their babies so although they all compete at much higher levels than I, they hopefully won't want to jump the moon!

Northern

Visit site
We’re now in lockdown ? so nothing. Still allowed to ride but somehow need to wear a mask riding. Err. There’s no one within 50m at least of me at the horses and it’s my private fields, no one has any business being there but me. Pity because I was going to hop on the youngster after a few months off post breaking. Oh well, will probably have to go into work instead!

Hope you all have a better weekend!!

WelshHoarder

Visit site
After a quick midweek come-as-you-are dressage trip out (not their best score at 62.39% thanks to baby Welshie spooking at pretty much every marker for no apparent reason, but good enough for 2nd), we’ve got a quick tune up lesson on Saturday then their first big, busy, show on Sunday - a nice early start and late finish that I haven’t dared mention to husband yet, but it’s our dry run for Sunshine Tour to see how the pair of them cope with a buzzier atmosphere than our usual venues. So it could all go amazingly well, or it could end in disaster ?. We’re just clinging to the thought that one of their showing classes only has 6 entries, so with a bit of luck they should come home with one frilly at least!

This one is definitely more about the experience for the pair of them though - our main goal is survival, and managing to do tack and arena swaps without any major disasters…

In the meantime, a few pics of them being cute from yesterday - at the end of the day, all we can ask is that they both enjoy themselves ?
97CC0F51-DCDE-4F30-BDCD-53F05C49B0DF.jpeg
0E08FDF1-D28B-4DC8-A783-3A8049089337.jpeg
2AD12DE2-685E-4C5B-9963-5A6A383AD9DB.jpeg
327E6A20-3127-45F2-91C8-6849B319E224.jpeg

Last edited:

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I do have plans after all! ?
Saddler had cancellation tomorrow so is coming out in afternoon, have also grabbed a last min space at an all day rc camp on Sunday with adjacent club. B should be OK with the jumping sj and xc, but am already getting ?? about the stressage lesson as we are not working at upper prelim/novice.... should be interesting ?

Bernster

Visit site
Ooh lots of lovely plans this weekend, inc people getting out out!

I love how smart Maddie always looks. And that’s some lovely hacking you have MP.

First pony party for my two for quite a while. We’re doing the stratfield saye sponsored ride. Lovely place and I do love a sp ride. I’ll be riding mr reliable finnegan and my friend is on Bertie (the new boy) as her horse isn’t suited to these rides. Hopefully Bertie will keep a lid on things, he’s 12 so no youngster, but I do expect he’ll be quite buzzy. Nice having a stunt rider ?. I’ve booked a few things for Bertie for Aug so, after a slow and steady start getting to know him, I’m hoping we’ll crack on fairly quickly now, but need to see how these events go before I decide what next!

scats

Visit site
My daughters going to this as well . She’s very excited ! What animals do you get to see ?

You don’t get great views as the fences are quite high and there’s a lot of foliage in the way, but I we did see the elephants, some deer looking things and some antelope type things. There was also good views of a couple of monkey enclosures but there were no monkeys up high to see.
The path runs under some bridges that zoo customers walk over, so I felt like we were an exhibit as there were a lot of kids waving at us :cool: It’s a great ride. Lovely to do some farm ride stuff plus some quiet roads and lanes. The hill up to the zoo is pretty decent too and lots of varied terrain.

I hope your daughter has fun! We have an 11am set off so hoping for dry weather but not too warm.

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
Day 12 of c section recovery and the better I feel the harder it is to not jump on pony. Need to keep reminding myself that mounting/riding/dismounting will be using the muscles a lot more than the gentle walks I have become comfortable with!

Will go down to see pony with mum today for a cuddle and scratch.

southerncomfort

Visit site
Bo has physio today.

He's been a bit teenagery recently and I want to be sure it's an attitude problem rather than discomfort anywhere. He does everything I ask, he's just a bit huffy about it. ?

Sunday I have a lesson booked but will see what physio says. I have about a million questions to ask my instructor though so it won't be wasted!

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Going to be a warm and buggy one here. Possibly a zebra hack (zebra fly sheet) and some braiding practice for next weekends competition. I'm tied between using the Quick Knots and this other style (scallop braids I think) on him.

My activity level is also going to be dictated by this jab I just got, so there's that too.

Have a nice weekend everyone!

AandK

Visit site
Following the theme of the last few months, naff all horse wise! Charlie's foot continues to mildly vex me, the surgery site is all grown out now but there is a lot of crap left where the pre-op abscess made its way up out of the coronet band. He lost the shoe (and pad) the day before he was shod on 27th July, so was a bit tender, and then lost the shoe (no pad this time) again on Monday night. There isn't much foot left, which gives no option to put it back on so he has a boot and pad on that foot now. It may end up being a blessing in disguise (he was barefoot before the op) although it means no riding for the forseeable while his foot sorts itself out. I know we'll get there in the end, but I can't help but feel a bit down as he was going so, so well before this issue cropped up. Anyway, pity party over!
We have friends over for a BBQ tomorrow lunchtime and then Sunday we're off to the Loxwood Joust, which was great fun when we went in 2019, so really looking forward to that!

Good luck to all out and about this weekend!

Last edited:

humblepie

Visit site
Good luck all out and about and love the photos Welshhorder. Can't comment on everyone's posts although would like to but lots of things going on whether competing or not. We are on a hacking weekend as horse had a super busy July - he did 10 days of competing. He had physio today so straight lines over the weekend. I need to sort out and give lorry a good clean and probably the house as well.

mavandkaz

Visit site
Belle is at a junior day camp with her young sharer today - hopefully she's behaving and they are both having fun. And then she's booked in to a fun ride on Sunday.
Sham had a lesson on Wednesday. He was amazing, instructor commented he looks the best ever, even compared to before he broke. We ran through some stuff for our up coming competition, and then did some work on the flying changes, as apparently that's the only thing that needs work before we can go and have a bash at advanced medium (we've only just stepped up to medium ?)
He will have quiet hack tomorrow, and do some in hand work Sunday and Monday, before his competition outing on Tuesday. It's just a local low key riding club dressage show - which is great as it's very relaxed and a PYO class. Have opted for M73 having done M61 twice, as for some reason I thought I would challenge us. I haven't ridden through it, and won't get a chance as he only schools once a week max, but I'm sure it will be fine!
Good luck to all those out and about, and hope everyone has a fun horsey weekend no matter what you're up to.

palo1

Visit site
Yay! We have plans albeit very minor. Alw has been back in work after her respiratory issue for 9 days now and whilst she has lost some fitness she has lost none of her sass. :) Today we did an uphill canter of about 1/4 mile - it's pretty steep but I was happy with her recovery and she is very jolly in herself. I had a little look at leg yield out on the lanes and I was actually really impressed; lovely and correct and even on both reins so I can start to develop that a little I think with the idea of eventually using that in a test...hahahaha! I think we are also ready now to start looking at simple changes again. I really want to move forward with the idea as Alw is quite happy on both reins but it is ages since we started looking at the basics so I want to go back to that and make some progress. I can't afford training at the moment so I am flying solo and that means things take more time but I am happy enough with that. I can work on improving the stuff I am confident (and hopefully competent) enough with and then, if the planets align I will be able to afford some training later this year. Pretty please!!