Sedalin for stallions?

_jetset_

Visit site
I was just wondering if anyone used Sedalin or something similar for their stallions?

My boy needs clipping and he is so ticklish that he is a complete fidget so I thought it would be better if we just took the edge off him when we clipped him to avoid me chopping bits off that should not be chopped off (and I am not the best with the clippers!)

iconique

Visit site
Please don't! It can cause them to drop and possibly be unable to retract! (operation if you are lucky but outcome as I understand it is poor)

Please talk to your vet for something suitable, we even check if we have a different vet that they know its a stallion as its the ACP that causes the problem, and is commonly used.

RutlandH2O

Visit site
So glad the last two posters gave you the information about the very real possibility of penile prolapse. I was warned about it when my then 17 months old Shire colts needed possible sedation. Almost a month later, after they were gelded, the risk was greatly reduced. Don't do it.

eventrider23

Visit site
As others have said...please don't! Sadly with stallions any of the sedatives like sedalin and ACP are highly dangerous with the risk of penile prolapse and penile paralysis. It is a small risk and some may want to chance it but personally I just don't think it's worth it. Less risky are the proper vet injected IV sedatives like domosedan and with these if something does go wrong you will have the vet on hand to help...

flintfootfilly

Visit site
I know nothing about this, so it is interesting to find out more.

What is the position with giving domosedan gel under the tongue then? That can be administered by the owner, and can be very useful ....

...... Is that OK for a stallion too?

In other words, is it just ACP (found in sedalin) which is the problem, or does the problem extend to domosedan too, whether applied IV or given under the tongue?

Sarah

sarahhelen1977

www.adonnis.co.uk
I believe it is ACP that is the potential problem, as have not been warned about Dom/Torb for use in stallions. How much is Dom gel? I know you need to get it administered correctly for it to be effective, and so haven't really looked into it - easier to get the vet to inject, cause if I need my boy sedated, I would rather him done by injection as I know how he reacts to it, and how much time I have!

flintfootfilly

Visit site
Domosedan gel was about £35 for a tube from my vets last month. So it worked out cheaper than a vet visit to give IV sedation, plus it was more convenient for me because I could time it just right for my dentist's arrival, without having to have a vet arrive at just the right time too (though to be fair, my vets are pretty good at timings when I've needed them there alongside others).

I was really impressed with how it sedated my pony who is one for waving his front legs in the air and showing his belly button if he doesn't like the thought of what we might be going to do to him. Started work on him about 40 minutes after administering, and he was an absolute lamb the whole time.

Sarah